Change commit code to other branch (Sourcetree for Windows)

Hi!

I am newbie with this tool and Git.

I put a 'new' branch code in 'master' branch, how can I change it to put in the right place?

Thanks a lot!!!

Xavier

1 answer

That depends:

1. If you haven't committed the change yet, you can just create a new branch (or check out another branch) right now and then commit. If there are conflicting changes in the other branch you can Stash your changes before switching, then Apply the stash again afterwards.
  2. If you have committed the change, but you haven't pushed it to anyone else, you can right-click on the commit *before* that commit and use the 'Reset branch to this commit' option to move the master branch backwards, undoing that commit. The default 'Mixed' mode should be used in the reset dialog so that your changes still exist in your local folder, they just become uncommitted again. Then, go to 1.
  3. If you've committed the change *and* you've pushed it, then you can't undo it because other people may have already seen it. You can copy the commit to the other branch by checking out the other branch then right-clicking that commit and selecting 'Cherry Pick'. This will copy that commit over to your other branch but won't undo it on master.

HTH!

Thank you for a very useful reply!

Regarding #3 it's really not possible to delete commits already pushed to origin? Even if I'm the only contributor?

Thanks!

Hey, very good explanation of the options. Thanks.

I need top go for option "2." but don't know whether to do this on master or on the branch the commit was meant to go to?

... think I just figured it with common sense. It's to be executed on the master and of course the right click needs to be on the previos entry (BEFORE the "wrong commit") ...

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

275 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot