Cannot see color branches in log mode (sourcetree)

Newbie question. I have been using xCode5 and decided to move away from xcode git and to SourceTree. I am keeping my code local on my machine but would like to get into the git flow habit. I opened Sourcetree and imported my project. All looks good. I did a final commit and initialized GitFlow. But as I move from Master branch to Development Branch to creating Feature Branches, I see the branch names in the log, but I do not see the parallel gitflow lines. Is that because my project is local and I am not doing any Pull/Push? or am I missing a setting? Thanks

1 answer

Hi Khaled,

One thing this could be is that because perhaps you're the only developer and you're moving entirely in a sequential manner meaning Git may do a fast-forward merge (this is by default). An easy way to understand this is from the Git config docs:

By default, Git does not create an extra merge commit when merging a commit that is a descendant of the current commit

This may be true in your case. Additionally, in SourceTree your log view may have certain options set causing your history to look different than expected. Just above the graph there are filters (drop down lists). Perhaps make sure the first one is set to "All Branches" and see what that yields?

Have a play around with the log filters and consider that all of your branching and merging may have been fast-forward merges.

Hope that helps

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

262 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot