Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot push to remote with valid app password usi...

Detlev Petersen March 10, 2022

Hi Theodora,

I think I have the same problem with SourceTree. Yesterday it was no problem to push something, the app password is correct, but SourceTree does not use my-username@bitbucket.org for pushing how it looks like. Error message just shows use of bitbucket.org for the https path to my repository. Somehow I cannot see where I can tell SourceTree to use the path with the username, because the path in the push dialog window shows it with username.

In the meantime I saw the hints about SourceTree. I updated the version of SourceTree to the latest one. SourceTree stores old password under C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree in passwd file. So, I renamed it and on push SourceTree ask for a new one. This time I use my app password. If I just refresh my login credentials under the options, it does not have any effect on my stored password for pushs before. The old and saved password in passwd file must be removed to make push run again.

BR Detlev

1 answer

1 vote
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2022

Hi @Detlev Petersen,

Just a heads up, I moved your post to a new question (it's best to create a new question if you'd like us to look into your issue, otherwise we will end up trying to troubleshoot multiple users' issues in one post, which will be hard to follow).

Based on the path you gave for the passwd file, I assume that you are using SourceTree for Windows (and not for Mac), is that correct?

Remote path

You can find the remote path for a repository if you:
1. Open the repository in SourceTree
2. Select Settings for this repository from the top right corner
3. In the new dialog that appears, in the tab Remotes, you can see the remote URL that SourceTree is using for the repo. If it doesn't include your Bitbucket username, you can select the remote, then select the button Edit and change the URL to include your username

Were you able to push after removing the passwd file? It is not very clear if the issue with authentication has been resolved or if you're still experiencing issues.

In case you're still experiencing issues, I would suggest checking the following:

1) The credential manager in Windows, as there may be stored credentials for bitbucket.org. If so, I would suggest removing them as they may be used from SourceTree.

2) Afterwards, in SourceTree, go to the menu Tools > Options > Authentication tab, remove your Bitbucket Cloud account and any Git saved passwords for bitbucket.org, and then re-add your account.

If you add your account using HTTPS - Basic authentication, the app password will need to have at least Account:Read permissions for the account to be added. Repositories:Read and Repositories:Write permissions will also be needed for the app password, in order to pull and push to repos.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events