Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot push to origin

Gerry Ge August 8, 2019

After upgrade to Sourcetree 3.2.5 [6 Aug 2019]

There are some differences with before where use push to origin function.

Before:

It will auto fill the Remote branch text-box with my new local branch name and can click Push button to push to origin

Sourcetree 3.2.5 [6 Aug 2019]:

It will leave it blank and click Push button will produce error.

22 answers

14 votes
Robert Karlsson November 10, 2019

This broke for me when upgrading to Sourcetree 3.3.4 on windows. It is a bug in sourcetree.

A workaround for the issue is when sourcetree autofills the "Remote branch" field in the push dialog the first time pushing a new branch from local, Delete what ever sourcestree autofills and enter it manually or copy and past the previous values and the push will work.

tqduy November 11, 2019

I just have the same issue on 3.3.4

All my local source is lost b/c of the remote branch not found

Like AKrizan likes this
Robert Karlsson November 11, 2019

I figured out a shorter workaround right after writing this, in the "Remote branch" delete the forwards slash character and the write it again and it will work.

Have not experienced losing any remote branches i only experience the issue with new branches that needs to be pushed remote.

Like # people like this
Alicia Gontarek November 11, 2019

Thank you.  This helped.

Branden Staack November 13, 2019

thanks, this worked.

pietermeseure November 20, 2019

Thanks!

espsousa November 23, 2019

Thank you so much. Copy/paste previous values worked. Definitely a bug in version 3.3.4.

Like StefanS likes this
optiklab February 13, 2020

For me, after the first push Source tree cleared the "Remote branch" text box to the empty field. So, push didn't work because "Remote branch" is a simply empty string, but it's hard to track this as it happens at the moment when a dialog box is hidden. Of course, typing a name into "Remote branch" fixes the issue. 

9 votes
rubio September 27, 2019

still problem in 3.2.6

5 votes
cbmdk September 24, 2019

same problem here in 3.2.6

4 votes
lee_m August 14, 2019

Same problem here. If I create a new branch then try to push it to the origin, the remote branch name is left blank and the "Track?" checkbox is left in an indeterminate state.

Capture.PNG

This results in the following error even after manually entering a branch name and checking the Track? option: 

The Remote branch '' (Local branch = 'test2') is invalid. Ref names must follow git ref-format rules:
https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-check-ref-format.html
Completed with errors, see above.

abringhurst August 16, 2019

I have the exact same issue as lee_m.

Bart Leemans September 2, 2019

Same problem here as of the update of 02/09/19 : 3.2.6.3544

Confirmed to be working again when downloading Sourcetree 3.1.3 from the website and installing this over the existing installation.

3 votes
Jan Drozen August 20, 2019

I created a bug report almost two weeks ago https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-12194

2 votes
Clemens Sum September 5, 2019

This bug report describes the issue really well: https://jira.atlassian.com/projects/SRCTREEWIN/issues/SRCTREEWIN-12284

Please vote it up for the SourceTree team to pay attention to it.

1 vote
dw-mschneider January 21, 2020

Just happened in 3.3.4.

Had to remove the value ("master") from the "Remote branch" TextBox and manually entered "master".

1 vote
Arnau December 3, 2019

I found the solution! You just need to rename the current branch. You can even put the same exact name! The default value SourceTree adds to your branch name is invalid.

1 vote
Liam Murphy October 22, 2019

One team member facing the same issue; force push does not work either.  Remote branch is not created and sourcetree shows a git error saying the branch name does not conform when you try to create it manually; downgrading to 3.1.2 was the only fix.

1 vote
Jirka Endrst August 14, 2019

I have same problem. It is really anoying. In previous version. I think 3.2.4 it automatically created new branch on origin. After switching to 3.2.5, when I create new branch I always needs to push it in cmd like git push origin xxx

0 votes
Tan_Ten_Cek February 18, 2020

still problem in 3.3.8 WTF

0 votes
jfontenot1807 February 4, 2020

still problem in 3.2.6

0 votes
artbrander January 22, 2020

Still happening in Sourcetree 3.3.4.

@dw-mschneider 's solution worked for me - If the remote branches are blank when trying to Push, which happens when it's a new repository, it used to still work and would create those branches in the remote, but this time I had to enter the branch names manually. Worked after that.

0 votes
yanwu xiao December 10, 2019

I resolve the problem when push branch with remote branch default(space)!

0 votes
canhnx December 9, 2019

I fixed with SourceTree 3.2.6 version!

Behavior:

I selected "Push to origin" instead of "Push to same new branch name"

Let try!

0 votes
Inc33 September 30, 2019

Having the same problem when trying to create a new branch with hg flow

0 votes
Deleted user September 19, 2019

Putting in my 2 cents. For me, it also does not work in 3.2.6 but if I force push, it works. Sometimes the repo admin doesn't make that option available, so I'll try downgrading to 3.1.3.

0 votes
gulbit September 4, 2019

same problem since updating to 3.2.6

OldRod September 6, 2019

I recently upgraded to 3.2.6 and have this problem as well.

I did a commit, and a "1" shows up on the tool bar by the "push" icon, but when I click "push", there are no branches to push in the dialog that pops up.

0 votes
Ravi Kumar September 2, 2019

Still same problem with 3.2.6 version as well.

Dennis Schlevoigt September 3, 2019

Also same problem

Jirka Endrst September 3, 2019

In my case problem gone with 3.6.2.

0 votes
Ellen Boven August 26, 2019

Have the same issue with version 3.2.5

but when doing commandline push from terminal from Sourcetree it works. Weird enough.

updated to sourcetree 3.6.2 but the issue is still the same.

3.6.2 does fix it, after reboot

Like Dmitry Melnikov likes this
Yuliya Ivaniukovich August 26, 2019

Had the same issue. We noticed that sourcetree site offers to download version 3.1.3 now, so I've reinstalled that version for now.

0 votes
Ananto August 20, 2019

Facing the same issue

0 votes
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 12, 2019

Hello Gerry and welcome to the Community!

Thank you for reporting a change in the product after an update. We would be interested to know what version to upgraded Sourcetree from so we may review the release notes to see if there was a behavior change.

We look forward to hearing back which version you have prior to the upgrade.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

P-O Edqvist August 12, 2019

I had the same problem as mentioned above. 

When upgrading to 3.2.5 from what I think was 3.1.3 (which still works for my colleagues), I could no longer work with the push dialog.

But today, after I've tried to update embedded git (which didn't work), update windows and multiple reboots it works again.

Like Stephen Sifers likes this
gerryge September 15, 2019

Sorry for the late replay, I upgraded from version 3.1.3. 

takatalvi12 December 9, 2019

Version 3.3.4.3796 still have the same issue (Windows)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events