Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot install SourceTree

castheimer January 30, 2018

I am having trouble installing SourceTree on my computer with Windows 10. I am using chrome for the install. The logs seem to indicate it's trying to write to MS Teams file, but not sure why - 

2017-12-07 14:15:29> Program: Starting Squirrel Updater: --install .
2017-12-07 14:15:30> Program: Starting install, writing to C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp
2017-12-07 14:15:30> UpdateManager: using rootAppDirecotry: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams
2017-12-07 14:15:30> Program: About to install to: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams
2017-12-07 14:15:30> Program: Install path C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams already exists, burning it to the ground

Can anyone please advise on this? I've tried moving the .exe file to a different location but had the same result. Thank you in advance!

2 answers

0 votes
castheimer February 6, 2018

Hi Ana... any other ideas? I haven't been able to get anywhere with this so far.

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 31, 2018

Hi Celia! In Windows, Sourcetree will be installed at

%localappdata%\SourceTree\app-{VERSION}\

And the user data goes into the following folders:

%localappdata%\Atlassian\SourceTree\

%localappdata%\Atlassian\SourceTree.exe_url_{HASH}\{VERSION}

From the log you posted, it seems like your system is trying to install or update Squirrel, can you check if you have it already? Maybe it's been corrupted somehow and it's blocking the install of Sourcetree.  

Regarding Sourcetree, it relies on Internet Explorer for the authentication step, so make sure you have the latest IE version installed. 

If after that you're still having issues, I'd recommend trying a clean install following the steps:

1. Wipe Sourcetree preferences.
  2. Uninstall Sourcetree (if it shows on the App&Features list)
  3. Backup then delete the directory below before proceeding with next step:
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local and delete Sourcetree & Sourcetree-Settings folder
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Atlassian and delete all Sourcetree Files/ folder.
  4. Download SourceTree and install it.

Let us know if you were able to go through!

Best regards,

Ana

castheimer January 31, 2018

Thanks, Ana! I don't already have Squirrel, I thought it was part of the install for SourceTree? 

Windows 10 now uses MS edge, so I had that, but I did also make sure I had IE set up, but that did not help. 

I'm guessing the issue has to do with Squirrel, but not sure how to proceed. Will do a bit more digging here, but please let me know if you can think of anything else on your end. Thank you!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events