Cannot fetch or pull on Sourcetree for windows

Stephanie Unsworth February 2, 2021

When trying to fetch or pull from my remote in sourcetree, if comes up with the error:

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false --no-optional-locks fetch origin
remote: HTTP Basic: Access denied
fatal: Authentication failed for "[my remote]"

I don't know why it is doing this as I have the proper gitlab access and this hasn't been an issue previously. Under settings/authentication, it keeps asking me to authenticate my log in everytime I open this. I have tried re cloning my remote but it keeps coming up with authentication errors and the credential pop up does not appear

2 answers

1 vote
Enecco Jacobelli May 17, 2021

I have the same problem ! :(

Enecco Jacobelli May 17, 2021

I have a solution now :

I got the help of this answer: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Sourcetree-questions/How-to-update-HTTP-S-credentials-in-sourcetree/qaq-p/297564.

Me, I went into the windows file explorer, and noted in the search bar "Sourcetree", and chose the "Sourcetree" folder with this path "C: \ Users \ CS \ AppData \ Local \ Atlassian".

Like Deleted user likes this
lme November 18, 2021

Mr Enecco Jacobelli,

Thank you  for your answer.

Now I can Push and Fetch from/to SourceTree to/from GitLab.

0 votes
Bart Nab February 9, 2022

I had the same problem. The suggested solution of removing the passwd file didn't work for me. But Sourcetree has a built-in solution:)

In the small menu bar at the top select => Tools => Options => Tab Authentication

There you can choose your gitlab account and "edit" it. The edit box offers an option to refresh Personal Access Token. This will give a Windows popup where you can enter the new PAT. And then be patient for about 20 seconds;)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events