Cannot connect to bitbucket account since app passwords introduced

David Bush March 14, 2022

Since app passwords were introduced I havent been able to push to bitbucket. I have set up an app password, but when I try to edit my sourcetree bitbucket account details I get the error message:

Failed to check login for use [xxxxx] Your credentials lack one or more required privilege scopes. Your credentials lack one or more required privilege scopes.

Has anyone had similar problems, and better still, found how to resolve them :-)

3 answers

1 vote
nicolapiccoli March 21, 2022

Hi, 
I tried many solutions like unistall sourcetree, remove passwords from keychain app, remove user from sourcetree... but still got the same error.

It kept asking me the password for my email credential.

How I solved

- Go to Preferences > Advanced
- There's a list (in my case just one) of hosts' names related to username
- Edit that file removing the email and insert the username.

Sourcetree use that setting for URLs which don't include one.

1 vote
Angela Liao March 14, 2022

Edit:

Here's what worked for me

1. Created an app password in my profile in Bitbucket (make sure it has read/write access for Repositories, Accounts, and Pull Requests (if you use these):

https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/app-passwords/

2. Edited my account under the SourceTree preferences/settings and updated my password with the app password

3. If you're on a Mac, you may need to delete your bitbucket account password from your computer keychain first to do step 2

----------

I had the same issue just now. Haven't found a solution yet.

Gopi Tholeti March 14, 2022

This worked for me!!!

Gopi Tholeti March 14, 2022

Edit:  

Step1:

1. Created an app password in my profile in Bitbucket (make sure it has read/write access for Repositories, Accounts, and Pull Requests (if you use these):

https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/app-passwords/

2. Restart Source Tree and hit Pull, a pop up appeared asking for login credentials.
  3. Provide Bitbucket username and Above created app password.

Now, it's normal.

0 votes
Vicente Mantrana March 14, 2022

Hi:

I had the same problem and it was solved by closing Sourcetree then  removing a file called "passwd" from this folder:

...AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree.

Then you open and do a Fetch in Sourcetree and it will ask you to enter your password. You will enter there the App Password you created.

I hope this helps someone else.

Thanks.

vorptronica July 3, 2022

This was EXACTLY the only thing that worked for me! Thank you!
That passwd file is evil!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events