It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Cannot change password for default host account

I am using Sourctree  v3.0.17 on Windows 10.  

I have two repositories:

1) bitbucket

2) tfs git

I had everything working fine until the tfs server forced a password change.  At that point Sourcetree gave an authentication error when I tried to push.  I cannot find where to change the password for the generic host account in Sourcetree.  I followed an earlier thread indicating that the generic host account credentials can be changed in the Windows Control Panel.  I searched high and low in the Windows Credential Manager and the Web Credential Manager, and I cannot find the generic host account listed or any account for this repo listed. 

How do I change the generic host account password?  Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Michael, thanks for your reply.  As I understand it, I will need to download the GCM from github and install.  I'll try that now.

Thanks,

Marc

minnsey Atlassian Team Mar 11, 2019

The GCM is already bundled with Git for Windows.

0 votes
minnsey Atlassian Team Mar 08, 2019

Hi

Although  Sourcetree shares them, ultimately the credentials used for pull/push etc in Git are managed by the Git Credential Manager for Windows, GCM, an add-on bundled with Git for Windows releases.

For example the Microsoft themed dialog that opens to prompt you for TFS credentials is part of the GCM not Sourcetree.

The GCM does store its credentials in the Credential Manager under the Windows side. They are all prefixed with 'git:'

This assumes there is nothing more complicated happening in your environment, I.e. you do not have domain level credentials being shared between you workstation and the Bitbucket instance.

Ultimately if you delete all the 'git:' prefixed entries from the Windows Credential Manager then there are no credentials the GCM can try and use, in those circumstances it should re-prompt you for new credentials.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Sourcetree

Sourcetree for Windows - CVE-2019-11582 - Remote Code Execution vulnerability

A vulnerability has been published today in regards to Sourcetree for Windows.  The goal of this article is to give you a summary of information we have gathered from Atlassian Community as a st...

4,989 views 0 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you