Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Log In via Git GUI on Windows

JakeBin May 5, 2019

I'm having some trouble logging in via the Git GUI popup on Windows. I'm trying to run the following command:

git clone https://UserName@bitbucket.org/UserName/Repo.git

Where "UserName" and "Repo" are filled in, as provided by bitbucket.org.

I have created an app password for my computer and have it copied to my clipboard.

When I try to run the git clone, I get the GUI login below:

GUI.PNG

Pasting my app password straight from the BitBucket site and hitting "Log in" fails twice. On the third time, it simply asks me for it on the regular command line, at which time I hit paste, and it works just fine.

The problem is that when I try to run "yarn install", it tries to pull from a different private repository which I have added, and since the password isn't properly saved, the yarn install fails. Why didn't the password work on the GUI?

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2019

Hi Jacob, and welcome to the Community :) 

When you're trying to log in via the GUI, have you tried to enter your regular Bitbucket password instead of the App Password?

I can see that the pop up is mentioning both Bitbucket and Sourcetree, can you confirm if you have Sourcetree installed? If so, can you check if the credentials you've saved there for Bitbucket are the right ones?

Let us know so we can continue helping you with this issue!

Kind regards,

Ana

JakeBin May 6, 2019

Thank you very much for responding!

Regarding the first suggestion, I log in to my account via my Google account, so I don't think I actually have a password set for the account itself - that's why I was using an app password instead. Is there a way to reset the account's base password when signing in via Google?

Regarding the second suggestion, I do have SourceTree installed on this computer. However, it has no accounts listed under Tools -> Options -> Authentication tab.

Finally, doing some research, I found that Windows can manage some credentials for the user - I made sure under the Credentials Manager in the Control Panel that there were no saved credentials referencing BitBucket.org.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events