Can't stage files in SourceTree

I'm trying to set up my initial commit, but I can't seem to stage any files.  I've dragged them from the Unstaged Files area to the Staged Files area, but they never show up in Staged Files.  It seems as though I'd done it once, because my "Initial Commit" in the Branches window shows the files, but they don't show up in my Bitbucket repo. 

I'm new to git and have no idea how this really works and I'm very confused at this point.  The Bitbucket website says I have no commits, but SourceTree is telling me it committed something somewhere and Bitbucket is the only remote repo I have set up.  I feel like I'm missing something but have no idea what it is.

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

Welcome to Git.

When using a DVCS (Git/Mercurial, for example), one of the most important characteristics to understand is that the day-to-day versioning operations (checkout, commit, branch, merge) do not interact with remote repositories. Rather, the initial setup on your machine creates a fulllocal repository, and all of those operations interact with your local repository. Operations like Push and Pull synchronize changes to your local repo with any remotes you have configured.

Check out the Git Book, even (especially?) if you have used centralized versioning in the past (CVS, SVN). I especially recommend sections 1.1 - 1.3, and chapters 2 and 3.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

872 views 2 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you