• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can't enable Git support by any means Edited

SourceTree suddenly stopped working for me today. When I first started it up, it couldn't find my Git install. Downloading embedded Git didn't work. Sourcetree would download the files then the popup would come up again (tried this 3 times. Trying to manually locate Git did nothing. Clicking the option just brings the popup back immediately and plays and error noise as does trying to let sourcetree look again. I've updated Sourcetree to 2.48 and Git 2.16.2 64 bit. 

2 answers

0 votes
minnsey Atlassian Team Mar 06, 2018

Hi

Can you check to see if embedded git appears to be installed in %localappdata%\Atlassian\Sourcetree\git_local ?

Do you have Git installed on your PATH? When you try to locate Git it will check the PATH  first it is possible that it s finding git.exe on your PATH but then failing to run it properly.

Is there anything in the %localappdata%/Atlassian/Sourcetree/sourcetree.log?

gitlocal.pngHeres what I have in git_local. My sourcetree.log file is pretty excessively lengthy and repetitive. Is there a specific error I should be looking for or should I just be posting the hundreds line of text here?

Again, part of the problem is that I don't seem to be allowed to manually direct Sourcetree to git. When I do, the alert window just pops back up without ever giving me the option to locate my git install.

I've narrowed down part of the problem. After updating Windows, sourcetree started working but the update caused my computer to become unstable and crash randomly so I had to uninstall it once again rendering sourcetree unusable with Git.

minnsey Atlassian Team Mar 20, 2018

Hi

Sourcetree will look in some known locations for git, e.g. accessible via the PATH or in standard install folders in c:\program files\ or c:\program files (x86).

It if finds a git.exe it will try running

git.exe version

It will try to parse the output to check it gets an expected result and is a supported version, essentially any 1.x or 2.x version.

I suspect you are getting some error when trying to run git.exe version

Can you see if there are any errors relating to running git version?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Sourcetree

[dev team] Sourcetree for Windows 2019 Preview - Dark Theme

Hi folks, While the full post is over on our blog I'd like to share the dark theme we've got planned for 2019 here directly as well to keep the discussion going.  The ...

3,280 views 19 18
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you