Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't clone any repository through SSH from SourceTree

Deleted user March 11, 2016

I have just installed SourceTree on windows and tried to clone my repository from Bitbucket or any git hosting site at all (tried GitLab and GitHub). When trying to clone from GitHub, I get through the windows where you put the URL and path just fine, but then hangs on the cloning process with the following output:

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false clone --recursive git@github.com:paxy97/WebPhoto.git C:\Users\Pavle\dev\WebPhoto
Cloning into 'C:\Users\Pavle\dev\WebPhoto'...

warning: templates not found C:\Program Files\Git\share\git-core\templates

The server's host key is not cached in the registry. You
have no guarantee that the server is the computer you
think it is.
The server's rsa2 key fingerprint is:
ssh-rsa 2048 16:27:ac:a5:76:28:2d:36:63:1b:56:4d:eb:df:a6:48

If you trust this host, enter "y" to add the key to
PuTTY's cache and carry on connecting.
If you want to carry on connecting just once, without
adding the key to the cache, enter "n".
If you do not trust this host, press Return to abandon the
connection.

Now, I do understand that PuTTY is waiting for confirmation, just like OpenSSH on Linux (which I usually use and have experience with), but it's not a terminal window, just an output log. I have no idea how to accept the servers public key to get a secure connection, but I guess it should accept it by default.

When trying to clone from Bitbucket or GitLab I can't even get past the clone info window, it just loads the repo info forever. My guess is that it's the same problem, only it manages to get the repo info from GitHub through HTTP.

I wanted to add the public server keys manually, but I can't find the known_hosts file anywhere, maybe PuTTY doesn't even use that format and if no, is there a way to add the keys manually somewhere?

Also, yes I generated private keys and added them to the ssh-daemon (the one embedded in SourceTree) and added the public keys to each of my accounts. And when trying to use the same private keys from the Windows Git bash to clone repos, it works just fine (after adding them to the OpenSSH agent).

1 answer

1 vote
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2016

If you open up the terminal with SourceTree's Terminal button, and attempt to ssh to the server(s) in question, you'll be prompted to accept the key. Once you accept it, you should be able to clone.

Note: it does not matter whether you're actually allowed to make a direct SSH connection, the key check happens before the server checks those settings.

Still not working. I tried cloning through the terminal, but it didn't ask me to accept the key, probably because I have already cloned it from the terminal before, which means that the key is cached, but SourceTree doesn't access the same file as OpenSSH does.

Update: Tried with github, same thing. I accepted the key in the terminal and the clone process in SourceTree stopped on the key confirmation again

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2016

If your terminal is using OpenSSH, why isn't SourceTree?

Well i mean it's using PuTTY for generating keys, for the ssh-daemon and I found the command line ssh client in the installation folder, so I'm pretty sure it's using PuTTY by default.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 11, 2016

Ok, well, try to connect to those addresses with PuTTY, and see if it prompts you to accept the key.

After opening a cmd in the folder where SourceTree has the PuTTY tools installed and connecting to all of the 3 git sites (I accepted the keys), I am now able to clone github repos, but gitlab and Bitbucket still wont load in the clone window

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events