Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't clone Bitbucket repo to SourceTree. Says bad login, but it shows me all the repos.

tpip December 8, 2022

I just now installed SourceTree on a new computer and am trying to clone my GIT repositories, which are stored on bitbucket.

I logged into SourceTree using my email address and my regular Atlassian bitbucket password. I can see the names of all my repositories in the Remote tab.

I now click Clone by one of the repositories to open the Clone form. It auto-fills the clone URL. The lists the proper clone URL, but it says "this is not a valid source path / URL" When I click details, I'm told "Login failed due to incorrect login credentials or method." 

Note, the first time I tried to clone a repo, it gave me a popup where I could choose... a help something?... I think I clicked to never see it again, but now I wonder if that's where I should have chosen something. I tried uninstalling SourceTree and installing it again to get that menu back, but it doesn't appear anymore.

I'm guessing maybe the URL not recognized issue is because I need to use the app password (instead of my personal password), which I at some point needed to start using on my other computer. But how?

I went to Tools > Options >  Authentication

My user is there. I go to Edit.

I tried to change OAuth to Basic. Then click Refresh Password. Here I have tried to enter my regular password, then one that gets me into my repositories on the website. I get an error "Authentication failed" with Unexpected character encountered. I also tried my App password, the one I use on SourceTree on my other computer when I push to the repository. Same error. I have verified that the passwords are correct.

I also tried leaving it as OAuth and clicking refresh token. This opens a webpage in my browser and I'm told "Authentication OK" Great, except now when I go back to the remote tab, it no longer even lists my repositories. There's also a red X by the account user name there.

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events