Can sourceTree keep synchronized with command line changes?

Many times I have a sourceTree window open on my repo, but I'm also making changes via git command line (git checkout foo, for example).  I notice that when I do this, the sourceTree window is now out of sync with my repo state.

1. is there a danger in this?  If I do a sourceTree operation, could it break my repo state because I've changed things behind sourceTree's back?
  2. Is there a way to tell sourceTree to watch my repo state, and update accordingly?  i.e. if I change branches, have sourceTree also change branches?

1 answer

There should be no danger, except possibly in some cases where you initiate an action in SourceTree while it is out-of-sync.

You can tell SourceTree to refresh by using the F5 key. If you make a habit of doing this whenever you shift your own focus to the SourceTree window, you should be safe from any possible harm from using an out-of-sync UI.

I also think there is no danger. SourceTree is almost nothing but a graphical interface - the main work is done by underlying git. So even if SourceTree display is not uptodate and you trigger a git command via SourceTree the executing git process will take "the real situation" into consideration ....

Exactly. The "danger" is mainly that the user doesn't know the "real situation", so the outcome of the command may not be what was expected. Git may push a commit that SourceTree wasn't displaying, for example.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

649 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you