Can fetch from the terminal, but not the SourceTree UI

UTAN dev October 20, 2017

I have a repo in SourceTree (Windows), with one of the remotes (pair) accessed via SSH on a web server. (ssh://USERNAME@@zulle.pair.com/usr/home/USERNAME/public_html/PROJECT/.git) I can fetch from pair in the SourceTree terminal, so I think everything is set up correctly. But I can't fetch from pair in the UI

From the SourceTree terminal:

$ git remote -v 
QA_on_Sonic \\\\SONIC\\monkey\\sites\\PROJECT.qa\\.git (fetch)
QA_on_Sonic \\\\SONIC\\monkey\\sites\\PROJECT.qa\\.git (push)
origin https://UTAN_dev@gitlab.com/UTAN_dev/PROJECT-2016.git (fetch)
origin https://UTAN_dev@gitlab.com/UTAN_dev/PROJECT-2016.git (push)
pair ssh://USERNAME@zulle.pair.com/usr/home/USERNAME/public_html/PROJECT/.git (fetch)
pair ssh://USERNAME@zulle.pair.com/usr/home/USERNAME/public_html/PROJECT/.git (push)
$ git fetch pair
From ssh://zulle.pair.com/usr/home/USERNAME/public_html/PROJECT/
* [new branch] 99-youtube -> pair/99-youtube
* [new branch] master -> pair/master
* [new branch] prod-hotfix-2017-06-12 -> pair/prod-hotfix-2017-06-12
* [new branch] release -> pair/release
* [new branch] this_is_pair -> pair/this_is_pair

When I fetch from the SourceTree UI, the progress bar never ends. "Show full output" just displays ```git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false fetch pair``` and nothing else.

How can I fix this? Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
UTAN dev October 24, 2017

Here's how I solved the problem:

• SourceTree was using System Git. (Tools > Options > Git tab)
  • The version of Git installed on my PC was pretty old.
  • I updated it and restarted SourceTree.
  • When I tried to fetch from the pair remote again, this time I got more feedback: there was an authentication error.
  • I needed to point SourceTree to my public SSH key. (Tools > Options > General tab > SSH Client Configuration)

Now, when I fetch, the operation completes successfully and the UI reflect that. I'm leaving this as a reminder to other users: if you're having strange problems, check your Git version.

0 votes
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 20, 2017

Hi
If you check the 'Always display full console output' In the Tools/options/General tab and try to fetch, what is the output within Sourcetree?

Are you using PuTTY or openssh for key management?

UTAN dev October 20, 2017

Hi Michael,

That's weird. I now see branches under "pair" in the list of remotes. Let's consider this fixed for now; thanks for your help.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events