Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I increase speed of processing (log and status) while using multiple sub-projects somehow?

Ankit Jain October 8, 2019

Hi,

My project uses multiple sub-modules. This causes the time taken on git log and git status to be high.  I was wondering if I can use some method to speeden up the process.

Every time I switch to a different tab on source tree (different tabs opening different sub-modules) and come back to the main project, the software starts re-checking all the code for any changes.This wastes a lot of time which I'd rather use for something else.

At times I will pull changes done by my peers (once a day or two usually), and a lot of times I'll be pulling their changes to a sub-module. Source tree will in this case again take a log time checking the status; this is again a big waste of time for me.

I blame git for being slow for these scenarios, but I can see this being a common problem. I was wondering if there's an answer for this I haven't discovered. Please share if you know one.

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2019

Hello! Are you using Mac or Windows?

On Windows, we've done some work on improving this, but it could be better of course. First, you'll want to:

• Make sure you're using the latest version of Sourcetree (3.2.6)
  • Make sure you're using the newest version of Git, and that Sourcetree is using System Git
    • You can find that setting under Options > Git
    • The latest version of git is 2.23.0. There's been quite a few performance improvement with submodules in the last few updates

There's also a few options related to submodules that may help:

• Under "Git"
    • Perform submodule actions recursively (try unchecking this)
    • Disable LibGit2 integration (make sure this is checked)
  • Under "General"
    • Refresh automatically when files change (uncheck this)
    • Refresh when the application is not in focus (uncheck this)
Ankit Jain October 9, 2019

Thanks for the answer. 

Though for some reason (it may not be due to these changes), but if I try to remove changes for a file now; source tree hangs and I have to close it.

Ankit Jain October 9, 2019

Update: My source tree kept hanging and crashing when I tried committing or pushing any code. In the end, I had to restart my PC and source tree asked me to go back to the initial settings.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events