Can I clone a local repo to Bitbucket.org?

I'm a beginner... I created a new Xcode project and then added a pod to it. Having just downloaded SourceTree and read through getting-started topics in Help > SourceTree, I dragged the project folder onto the SourceTree icon to create a local repo.

Now I want to clone that repo at my bitbucket.org account. Do I go online and create a repo at my account and then link the local and remote? Or do I Push my first local commit and SourceTree will create the repo at my bitbucket.org account?

If this isn't "best practice" for incorporating an existing project into a GIT at Bitbucket, what is the best practice?

1 answer

1 accepted

Figured it out... In the Overview (or is it Bookmark) window, select the Local project, right-click, and choose "Publish to remote." That should be added to the Help file section that describes creating a repo or adding a project to an existing repo. The Help section ends after the immediate action of creating or adding is done but instead should offer the next step of publishing it online.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

414 views 0 1
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you