Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug/feature request: Please keep a backup of the config xml

cjard July 16, 2022

A few times a year something happens to my sourcetree config files; I launch source tree and I see an error message about the settings being corrupt (I can't quite remember the message) - do I want to quit and try and fix the file or continue and reset them

If I take a look in some config xml (again, I forget the exact name of it) I can see that the file starts normally, and is XML like i'd expect, but at some point it just becomes full of 0x00 - it'll be right in the middle of the tag, so the structure of the XML and all the data after that point is toast

SourceTree isn't the only app I have this from; WinLESS and a couple of others, which also keep their data in XML files, do it too. I wondered if there is some failure of a microsoft XML writer librar y if the machine is hard powering down just to battery, or perhaps windows update..

Anyhow; however it happens, would it be possible for ST to just keep a  backup copy of a config when it's writing a new one, and the "reset, quit&repair yourself" options could be augmented with "use the last known good config" - it sucks to have to load 37 repos in again, and I'm not quite diligent enough to keep my own backup of the app data folder yet (but one day, when I've less on the to-do list..)

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events