Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Branches disappear and then reappear under Remotes

Jason Thiel March 5, 2019

image.png

For some reason, I have been seeing the > in the above screenshot disappear and I cannot see my remote branches (they are still there).  After a good half hour googling and trying things, I gave up and the > reappeared along with my branches when i did a pull from master!

Does anybody have any idea why source tree seems to lose track of the branches?

2 answers

0 votes
dabernathy89 April 29, 2019

I'm also missing this dropdown, even after restarting sourcetree. I haven't gotten it to reappear yet.

Mac: 10.14.4
Sourcetree: 3.1.2 (216)
Remote: Gitlab (hosted)

Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 3.35.38 PM.png

Jason Thiel December 13, 2019

And Now i'm getting it again.

0 votes
bgannin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2019

Hi @Jason Thiel,

A few questions:

1. what version are you using?

2. what platform are you on? (Mac or Windows)

3 what is the remote host provider? (Bitbucket, GitHub, GitLab, other)

Our apologies for the hiccup.

Brian Ganninger
Principal Developer, Sourcetree

Jason Thiel March 5, 2019

1.  sourcetree version 3.1.1

2.  mac

3.  bitbucket

i've had this happen twice in the past couple weeks.  prior, i never saw the problem.  probably has to do with the 3.1.1 from feb....

Nothing has changed on bitbucket side other than new branches added through jira.

Typically, i add branch in jira, open SourceTree, right click on origin, refresh from remote and then scroll to the branch in the list.  Obviously, this completely fails if the > is missing and there is effectively nothing under origin!

Jason Thiel March 6, 2019

This happened again today.  I created a new branch on bitbucket.    I go to Source Tree to pull it down.  The orgin under Remotes has no > and thus i cannot get my branch.

Is there a way to roll back SourceTree to previous version?

I got around it by going to command line:

git checkout <branchname>

The new branch is now visible in Sourcetree and i was switched to it.  Remote-> origin still has nothing under it!

I prefer to use Sourcetree instead of git command line to avoid the "cheatsheets" for git posted all over my desk.....

and now its back.  about 15-20 min later, the > magically appears and i can see my branches.  Seems like a timing thing.  I did nothing in either bitbucket nor sourctree in the meantime.

Jason Thiel March 13, 2019

More Info.  my typical procedure is to create a new branch in Git via Jira.  Then i go to Source Tree to switch to the new branch.  I right click on origin and do a "fetch from origin" to get a fresh list of branches containing the one i just entered.  Otherwise, my branch is typically not in the list.  

I noticed this morning that when i did the "fetch from origin", the > immediately disappears.  We do have a lot of branches in git so maybe this procedure takes a long time?  Perhaps we exceeded some limit of branches recently and this issue is just cropping up now.

As previously mentioned, the > does seem to randomly reappear after some time.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events