Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket login keeps popping up in SourceTree after username change

gilgen-zt July 8, 2018

I had to change my username in Bitbucket to have the same format as my collegues in the office.

Since I changed it, the login window in sourcetree keeps popping up with my old username already entered. It does not pop up, when I use any pull or push functions. It pops up every minute, also when I don't work with SourceTree. It just has to be started and then the login window starts to pop up.

When I put my correct credentials (with new username) and click continue, the login window pops up again after 1 minute.

I tried several different things, which I found in other posts.

E.g. https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Sourcetree-questions/GitHub-login-keeps-popping-up-in-SourceTree/qaq-p/745182

I tried deleting all saved credentials in SourceTree and set them again, updating the GitVersion, updating the credential manager, use the embedded Git or use the system Git (latest version).

But none of it helped.

Does anyone have some more things I could try?

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 9, 2018

Hi Thomas! You can start checking your account settings to make sure your old credentials are not there, you can find them by following Connect your accounts.

If your credentials there look ok, or the log in window keeps popping up, I'd recommend wiping Sourcetree preferences to make sure there are no remnants from the old username. 

Let us know if that helps!

Best regards,

Ana

gilgen-zt July 9, 2018

Hi Ana

Thank you for the quick answer.

In the account settings I can find only the new credentials. So it seems to be OK.

I made a wipe of the SourceTree preferences according to the instructions you linked to. Note: A "userhosts" file is mentioned, which I couldn't find in my folders.

Unfortunately the wipe did not solve the problem. But I also noticed, that the before saved user crendetials (the correct ones) still were in the user settings after the wipe. Is this correct? Or did I something wrong in the wiping?

Best regards Thomas

gilgen-zt July 10, 2018

Hi Ana

I have an update to the topic. After doing the wipe again and restarting my computer, it seems to work. At least the login did not pop up since some hours.

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2018

Hi Thomas, I'm happy to hear that :) 

Should the pop up appear again, let us know!

Have a nice day,

Ana

2 votes
RonA March 13, 2020

i did not even change anything in sourctree or bitbucket, and this popup keeps coming every 3 minutes.  

i guess i have to remove sourcetree altogether, this is too annoying. 

1 vote
sker25 December 5, 2018

Up to this point, nothing worked.

I did find a section in Tools > Options > Authentication > (Local?) Saved Passwords with an entry that said "visual studio" in it. Until seeing this, I forgot that, in setting up GIT the first time, I tied it to Microsoft Visual Studio and set the password there as well. Once I removed that entry and tried to push my changes, it asked for my passwords again and this time it took.

0 votes
IBrown_BluePrint March 13, 2024

This is caused by the bookmark list (list of previously opened repos when you create a new tab in SourceTree) having a repo that was last opened with credentials that are no longer valid. This would imply that SourceTree is trying to Authenticate these repos periodically in the background, probably to update the ahead/behind indicators in the bookmark list.

You can just right click the offending bookmark and delete it or edit the bookmarks.xml file in the AppData folder for SourceTree.

Obviously, if the offending repo is in an open tab, that will do it too.

SourceTree should flag the bookmark if the Authentication prompt is cancelled and stop trying to authenticate it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events