cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[BUG]Sourcetree still need commit files which already ignored

Alan Loar June 26, 2018

Hi,

I’m ellan.

I have two file both  are add to repo ignore list. One .vcxprj file and another is .gitignore itself (through add it in file .git/info/exclude). Cause both  two files were  already tracking, I ran update-index –assume-unchanged <filepah>  in the bash. And the “File Status”  tab seems OK as Nothing to commit.

and there is output about git status

On branch master
Your branch is behind 'origin/master' by 72 commits, and can be fast-forwarded.
  (use "git pull" to update your local branch)

nothing to commit, working tree clean

But when I tried to checkout a remote branch of this repo. A error comes up,

error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by checkout:
 .gitignore
 VS_2012/DSO/DSO/DSO.vcxproj
Please commit your changes or stash them before you switch branches.

The Sourcetree version   2.4.8, Git 2.15.0.1, Win7 x64

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 27, 2018

Hi

I don't think you can do what you are trying to do in that way.

I'm assuming you want to effectively have Git forget about the vcxproj file and stop tracking it.

By adding it to the .gitignore you simply telling Git to ignore it from this point on, but other branches etc will still track it, hence the conflict when merging.

See here for some more suggestions:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1274057/how-to-make-git-forget-about-a-file-that-was-tracked-but-is-now-in-gitignore

see also https://www.git-scm.com/docs/git-update-index

Git will fail (gracefully) in case it needs to modify this file in the index e.g. when merging in a commit; thus, in case the assumed-untracked file is changed upstream, you will need to handle the situation manually. 

Alan Loar June 28, 2018

Thank you for the infomations very much.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events