Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Author not showing correct Name

JLaz February 3, 2022

Hello there.
At work we are using Bitbucket / Sourcetree and Windows10.
I just updated Sourcetree to version 3.4.7.0 

Author on Bitbucket: Firstname Lastname (with space)
Author in Sourcetree project + general settings: FirstnameLastname (without space)
Author in Sourcetree History tab: Lastname + email

My Question:
Why is Sourcetree showing only "Lastname" for the commit author in the History tab, when the name given in the project settings and in the global Sourcetree settings is "FirstnameLastname"? Use global settings checkbox in project settings is active.
On Bitbucket itself is shows "Firstname Lastname". Again different (space between) but just why is Sourcetree neither using the name thats shown on Bitbucket nor the name given in the settings?

1 answer

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2022

Hi @JLaz ,

welcome to community!

Please read the following detailed guide on how-to manage name in sourcetree https://www.awordfromnet.com/how-to-change-name-and-email-address-of-author-and-committer-with-sourcetree/

In particular, try the following approach :

• Open Options, and check "Allow Sourcetree to modify your global Git and Mercurial config files"
  • Open the repository, open the repo settings (top right gear), and make sure "Use global user settings" under advanced is checked
  • Sourcetree will now modify your git settings (which can be found in 'C:\Users\<username>\.gitconfig' under '[user]')

Hope this helps,

Fabio

JLaz February 3, 2022

Hello.

The option to allow Sourcetree to modify Git- & Mercurial config files was and still is enabled.
The option to use global user setting is also enabled ( I wrote that already)
The .gitconfig says "Firstname Lastname" (with a space)

Sorry, but that didn't help at all.

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2022

Hi @JLaz ,

does your issue happens for just your user or for all users in the author column?

JLaz February 3, 2022

Other Authors have different Information depending on which branch the commit is on which is also very strange. But at least its their first and last name.

JLaz February 3, 2022

Here are screenshots of the sourcetree and .gitconfig settings. Firstname and Lastname everywhere.

Screenshot 2022-02-03 144945.pngScreenshot 2022-02-03 145017.pngScreenshot 2022-02-03 145040.pngScreenshot 2022-02-03 145154.png

See, the names change as soon as sth happens on the dev branch. For me only Last name.

Screenshot 2022-02-03 144806.png

JLaz February 11, 2022

leaving a ping here..

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 11, 2022

Hi @JLaz , 

please could you check the Display Name of your user on bitbucjet side in order to verify that it contains First Name and Last Name?

JLaz February 11, 2022

As already mentioned in the beginning, Bitbucket shows Firstname (space) Lastname.
Screenshot 2022-02-11 163024.png

John Perry July 7, 2023

I have this problem, too; version 3.4.14 on Win 10, using github enterprise. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events