Authentication

Maarten Verijdt January 21, 2019

Lately using Sourcetree has become incredibly annoying.

It's a good thing that you've got a secure application. But don't bother users with a million different screens about authentication. Just solve this within Sourcetree and be done with it.

after idling sourcetree already asks for my password, why is it impossible to remember my password? but now it also starts opening pages like this: http://localhost:34106/?state=authenticated&code=tAukWjRT4k7aMwSqq3 in my web browser.

Think again, how many users are waiting for stuff like this?

Can you revert this or make Sourcetree remember my passwords and put all authentication logic inside the application?

1 answer

0 votes
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2019

Hi

Sourcetree stores credentials in the Windows Credential Manager, it does this so that they can be shared with the Git Credential Manager for Windows which is bundled with Git for Windows.

The popup dialogs asking for username/password or OAuth are probably the Git Credential Manager for Windows being triggered by Git.  Sourcetree itself only asks for credentials when adding/editing an account.

There have been some bugs in recent releases of the Git Credential Manager, if you are using a system git install we would recommend upgrading to Git 2.20.1 or above.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events