Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication failed after 2-factor-authentification setup

annakokokaka June 5, 2020

Hi, 

I can't pull or push after that I actived the 2-factor-authentification on my github account. 

I got the following errors:

remote: Invalid username or password.

fatal: Authentication failed for 'xxx'

On the Source Tree settings, under my accounts I can't click on Connect Account. 

What sould I do?

Thanks,
Anna

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rolf Staflin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 9, 2020

Hi Anna,

I had the same problem and found the answer here. I updated the git command-line package (https://git-scm.com/download) and now Sourcetree is prompting me for the two-factor authentication number.

I am surprised that Sourcetree is still not showing any warning or informative text for this! The Atlassian team knew about it in February 2018. (Ping, @Mike Corsaro :))

annakokokaka June 9, 2020

Hi Rolf, 

Thank you for your answer!
Unfortunately that didn't seem to work for me. I'm on mac, I found the "Use System Git" button they wrote about, but it didn't help.

I'm not so technical and familiar with Source Tree, is there a way to call a support technician and get some help? (I can't find any phone numer or a chat function anywhere though).

Rolf Staflin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 10, 2020

Hmm, you're right. I tried it on my Mac and couldn't login to Github in Sourcetree even after I upgraded everything to the latest version.

I ended up installing the Github Desktop app on the Mac - I guess my confidence in Sourcetree got a bit shaken by all this. Anyway, logging in and cloning the repo with Github Desktop worked perfectly (not surprising since it's their own app). If you need to use Sourcetree specifically then it won't help you, but otherwise it might be worth checking out the Github app.

Good luck!

/Rolf

annakokokaka June 10, 2020

Hi again, 

Thanks for recommending the Github Desktop app, it was easy to set it up and use it instead of Source Tree :) 
I'll continue to use that one instead. 

Thanks again,
Anna

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events