Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication failed: Unexpected character encountered

Colin Corkill September 30, 2021

Attempting to enter my credentials for Bitbucket into Sourcetree and I get the following error:

Authentication Failed

Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: Y. Path ", line 0, position 0.

I have confirmed that I'm entering the correct credentials. I've tried both my email address and my username. I've tried resetting my password.

I have seen the "Solution" thread that suggests using your email as a username -- this did not work.

I am on Sourcetree version 3.4.6, Windows 10 Pro.

Here's an image:

Capture.PNG

EDIT:

Updating Embedded Git via the Git options menu and deleting the passwd file from AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree got me around the initial error message.

Now it's giving me this when I attempt to clone a remote repo:

2.PNG

EDIT 2:

Never mind. Tried to refresh my password again, and now I'm back to square one and the "solution" from my first edit now isn't working. I do, however, get the same error as in my initial Edit when I try to remotely clone the repo.

EDIT 3:

For anyone that experiences this issue in the future, I have a hunch that the problem was that my username contained a special character. I'm not certain, but when I instead cloned the repo via SSH, it was successful. The only thing I can think of was that somehow my username was the problem. The special character was a hyphen.

1 answer

3 votes
Colin Corkill September 30, 2021

EDIT: Just realized I should have just updated my initial post. How do you even delete answers? :/

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events