Apply external diff / merge tool on certain Git projects

Young Kwang Kim July 31, 2017

Hi, I'm following Unity's smart merge configuration when using Unity 5, Git 2.13 and SourceTree 2 on a 64-bit Windows 10 machine.

unityTool.pngref. link

The main thing to do is configuring external diff / merge tool as UnityYAMLMerge.exe.

However, I felt some problem with this;

I work with Unity3D projects as well as Python 3 projects.

Before configuring UnityYAML, I used P4Merge as the external tool and this tool was used when working with Python projects.

If I change the configuration to UnityYAML, the Python projects does not diff or merge with P4Merge, right?

For external tools, I want to use UnityYAML while I'm working on Unity3D projects whereas I want to use P4Merge while I'm working on Python projects.

Is this possible when using SourceTree or is this a problem related to Git?

1 answer

1 vote
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 1, 2017

Hi Young! At the moment is not possible to use different diff tools based on the kind of project, but sounds like a good feature request. You're welcome to submit it at jira.atlassian.com by clicking on the Create button. Once you do, it will be visible to the rest of users and they'll be able to vote for it if they're interested.

Hope this helps!

Ana

Young Kwang Kim August 1, 2017

Hi, Ana. Before creating a feature request, I wish to ask a question.

"The git config command is a convenience function that is used to set Git configuration values on a global or local project level. - Atlassian git config tutorial"

"SourceTree uses the global config only and not local config per repo for diff and merge tool. - Manjunath Basaralu Srinivasa (Atlassian Team)"

Since I can configure a merge tool "locally", this is just a feature, which is not supported by SourceTree 2, not a problem with Git, right?

Before submitting a request, I want to check whether this is a feature that cannot be implemented due to Git's attribute or not.

-Best Regards

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events