Adding a subtree: Invalid path errors

kayy11 April 29, 2014

I just tried to add a github hosted repository as a subtree to my current project. I get an error for each file like:

From https://github.com/kayy/BundleVersionChecker
* branch master -> FETCH_HEAD
error: Invalid path '/Users/kay/Development/git/MyProject/Assets/Editor/BundleVersionChecker/.gitignore'

The URL is reported as Git repository, there is only the master branch as I just have started and the local relative path points to a non-existing directory name immediately under an existing directory.

I use the embedded git version of SourceTree 1.9.0 reported as 1.8.4.2. Confusingly when I enter git subtree I get:

git: 'subtree' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

I am new to subtrees but used this project as a submodule before. What I am doing wrong here?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2014

Hey Kayy,

Could you paste the entire output you're experiencing from the start? Perhaps put it in a pastebin for easier reading.

As for the latter problem you're experiencing, subtree is an extension. The command line Git you're using is actually different from the one SourceTree uses (if using embedded). The SourceTree documentation tells you all about this, actually, and provides a link with a guide to getting it working here: http://engineeredweb.com/blog/how-to-install-git-subtree/

Hopefully the latter part helps, let me know about the former point.

Cheers

kayy11 April 29, 2014

I tried it again after committing the next changes and suddenly it worked. I didn't change anything else - well this is what all the guys saying ;) Anyway, thanks a lot for shedding some light on the 2nd problem.

kayy11 May 12, 2014

My previous comment was wrong in that I accidentally created a submodule (which worked fine).

Now I tried to create a subtree again for another sub-project. At first I ran into the same problems but finally found the solution: The 'Add Subtree' dialog lets you select a directory and uses that as the full path. Editing it to be a relative path as stated in the label fixes the problem.

Maybe a future version of SourceTree can handle this automatically.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events