Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a new file

Sherry Jackson November 6, 2019

In my local development site I have added a new file but it doesn't show up in the Unstaged Files by default.  How do you add it there so I can add it to the repository and commit it?

2 answers

0 votes
Russell Wagner
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 16, 2024

Make sure you are showing Untracked Files in the window that shows modified files. You have to add the new (untracked) files to get them into your repository.untracked.png

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2019

Hi @Sherry Jackson,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

If you run git status in the repository from the command line do you see it then? If not then you might have a .gitignore file that tells Git not to add the file to the repository. 

Sherry Jackson November 6, 2019

Hi @Mikael Sandberg - I'm very new to this.  I found another article and followed it by adding the file via the bitbucket website but now it is giving me a conflict on the pull because the local file exists.

Is there a way that if I add a file locally that the Sourcetree application will pick it up automatically to be pushed to the repository?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2019

Yes, normally when you add a file to your repository Sourcetree will pick it up right away. But if you have a .gitignore file that specifies files that should be ignored. 

To solve the conflict you see on the pull you can move/remove the local file and then the pull should work.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events