[dev-team] Known Issue: Bitbucket Login with Git Credential Manager 1.16.1

Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 8, 2018

Update 1: a release preview with fixes for these issues is now available here

Update 2: this issue has been resolved. Please download the Git Credential Manager v1.17.1

Hello!

We've recently become aware of an issue with the Git Credential Manager (which is bundled with Git) where Bitbucket login stops working. The GCM team recently released a new version (1.17.0) which fixes this issue, but only when using basic authentication.

If you're using basic authentication: please download and install GCM 1.17.0, which you can find here.

If after installing GCM 1.17.0 and you're still having issues: please try removing all "Bitbucket" credentials from the Windows Credential Manager and then try again:

credential_remove.png

If you're still having basic login issues: you can also try manually adding your login: navigate to https://bitbucket.org and view your profile to obtain your username. After getting your username open the Windows Credential Manager, and add a Generic Credential under "Windows Credentials". Note: this will only work if you do not have 2FA enabled.

manual_credentials.png

If you're using 2-factor login: a hotfix is currently in-progress which should be released soon.

If you're using SSH: SSH is currently not affected by this bug. Additionally as a work-around you can change your repository to use SSH. You can find directions on how to use SSH with Sourcetree here. We generally advise users to use SSH as it's easier and more secure than username+password authentication. 

4 comments

Masoud Soltanveis August 9, 2018

Thank you but I'm still having the same issue (Atlassian login pops up when I fetch), and it doesnt accept my app password. I kind of gave up on it and I'm just using the terminal window with git commands instead.

Mark Stickling August 10, 2018

Ditto on the log in popups during fetch.

mesbahamin August 15, 2018

I am not convinced this issue is resolved, and I have logs to justify my skepticism:
https://github.com/Microsoft/Git-Credential-Manager-for-Windows/issues/725

Note this is using the latest GCM (v1.17.1)

Mike Upjohn August 18, 2018

Ok, so I use basic authentication. I used to use a Windows GUI client to branch, pull and push etc, but recently moved to command line in VS. The GUI's seemed to never have this problem anyway, but the terminal did.

It turns out that what they say above does work. I've just installed the latest GIT Credential Manager, and then went and deleted and readded my Bitbucket credentials to the Generic Credentials.

Re-starting Visual Studio allowed me to push my code first time without showing the login box.

Thanks for the fix guys!

Alberto Martin Moreno August 29, 2018

what is the estimated date for fixing this bug?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events