Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree keeps getting slower and slower as the version goes higher!

Mike Y May 22, 2018

Hi there.

I was wondering if SourceTree programmers have noticed that as the version goes higher (with new UI etc.), the app keeps getting slower and slower.

Almost everyone in my company had downgraded, except me. Well finally I downgraded yesterday to 1.10 and it's faster now.

It's good that you are trying to have a nicer UI, but is it reasonable to get slower and slower?

By the way, I suggest that somebody in SourceTree development team tests installing an older version with the newer version already installed (coexist), and you'll be surprised. As an another test, uninstall the newer version, and then install an old version, again you'll be surprised!! Finally you would probably suggest to manually delete all folders, databases, registry keys, etc. manually after uninstall...
Don't forget that a good uninstaller should delete everything, and not to forget %50 of the files and settings!

And at last again I should say I'd rather have a Windows 98 style UI, but a real quick app!

I hope my comments help.

1 comment

minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2018

Hi

Thanks for the constructive feedback. Performance is very important to us so we will investigate.

Can you provide any more detail about the areas that are most painful for you? Switch tabs? Open repositories, Git actions etc?

Cheers

Mike

Mike Y May 24, 2018

Hi.

Well these are the slow parts:

1. start-up

2. changing the tabs

3. refreshing (and auto-refreshing = almost always)

4. commit/push/pull (while on Git command line it's one or two seconds, on GUI it's 15~30 seconds; although this is not new, it was there from the previous versions).

5. [this is probably a bug] if you happen to have a large text file, and happen to click on it on gui, it freezes, takes ages to unfreeze, and eventually looking at the Windows Task Manager, it has taken a few Giga bytes of RAM (Thank God that I have 32GB of RAM). (Shouldn't the software be smart, not to load a huge file, or at least load the small portion of it to view the first few files?)

6. [again it's probably a bug] sometimes you open the sourcetree and it starts with an error complaining about a zip file... which I assume mostly happens after minor updates. Unfortunately, I have no more information about this particular issue to share.

These are the ones I remember now.

Generally speaking, I can see nobody in the company using the new versions of SourceTree. I gave up yesterday as well...

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events