Please bring back the bookmarks sidebar

Victor Louwerse May 12, 2017

I just upgraded to 2.0 and noticed the bookmarks sidebar is gone. For me, this is NOT an improvement, for the following reasons:

• I have to open a new tab to get an overview of the status of all my repos.
  • Each repo takes more vertical space = bad for getting a quick overview of the status of all my repos.
  • I cannot open several repos in rapid succession, for example, repos that have updates. I now have to open a new tab, open the next repo with updates, open a new tab again, and so on (in doing so, I also have to look for the point where I left off in the list...)
  • No sub-folders possible in the new setup?
  • In "All Repos" I don't see which folder a repo is in, so I can never be sure all my repos are in a folder.

Please bring back the bookmarks sidebar as an option.

25 comments

Mike Branch May 14, 2017

Agreed. This is a deal-breaker for me. I prefer not to use soure control tools within my IDEs, but I guess I am now.

Gutbuster May 15, 2017

+1. The current way of displaying bookmarks makes sourcetree completely unusable for my scenario. I work with dozens of different repositories that have similar prefix in their name, and I have to hover over the tabs to see which ones they actually are (Besides having to scroll the list due to screen not being able to fit all of them at once). Not to mention it was very convenient being able to see repository status on the list as well. 

Like Emil_Azizov likes this
Patrick Moore May 24, 2017

+1.  Please bring back the bookmark sidebar.  I have several sources repos that I am responsible for and it's nice to know quickly what changes have and  haven't been checked in.

BlobZop NA June 5, 2017

+1 from me too.

It was very useful.

I have very bad memory and I'm hopping between many things, when I come back to coding (more like learning it), checking bookmarks folder tree of SourceTree was the first thing I do.

I had many folders for Unity and other projects, and under those folders multiple similar projects grouped in one place. This way it was easy to click folder open, then click through projects in a folder, and see where I left the projects weeks ago...

And what is more annoying, the "Local repositories" tab that opens by pressing "+" in tab bar, is horribly formatted. Huge gaps between items, lost space - I'd rather see windows explorer like compact "directory listing" instead of this. Make an option for spacing of lines at minimum.

And bring back the bookmarks window.

Andreas Symeonides September 16, 2017

I totally agree.  Without the sidebar it is now very difficult for me to be able to see an overview of all of my repositories and to navigate efficiently.  The new way of selecting from local repositories is very inefficient and ugly.

Please bring it back as soon as possible.

Stuart Moore November 23, 2017

At risk of being a "Me too" person, I completely agree with the above. I have no way of seeing which branches have changes or not, the bookmarks sidebar worked really well. Please bring it back.

Hugh December 1, 2017

I have 30+ years of experience in software development and it took me 20 minutes to work out how to rename a repository tab. Thanks to this post. And no thanks to the current design.

Chris Lanning December 14, 2017

Why in the world would they remove it.  It was so easy to see which repositories have updates without having to go into each one.  I don't see a way to do that with this new version. 

Is there an easy way to downgrade back to the older version?

lbroerman January 10, 2018

Yes!  Upgrade to 1.9 to get back this necessary feature:

http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/SourceTreeSetup_1.9.9.20.exe

Chris Lanning January 12, 2018

Hey Lewis, did it let you downgrade without any issues?  I am on version 2.3.5.0.

George Onofrei June 26, 2018

Hi, I installed 1.9.9.20 besides 2.5.5.x and it worked. Currently using 1.9.9.20 and the left bar is great.

michael_letcher January 15, 2018

I love the lack of response from the "team" here.

Mike Branch January 16, 2018

Yeah I think the only reason software companies set up these forums is so we can answer each others' questions and they don't have to bother. Atlassian certainly isn't the only one.

Luís Braga January 25, 2018

+1

Bring it back, at least as an option!

Isaac Sousa January 25, 2018

+1

Please bring this feature back!

Thanks

Rainer Denk February 6, 2018

agree! working with many repos is very uncomfortable/impossible without the bookmarks sidebar

nofishonfriday April 9, 2018

As long as the bookmarks sidebar doesn't come back I'll stay with 1.9x (aka +1).

Thomas Schläppi May 1, 2018

+1

Bringing back this feature would improve really my day-to-day work!

Robin Bornschein May 31, 2018

+1

switching between local repos, and keeping an overview at a glance, was much easier with the bookmarks sidebar.

Benjamin Klingler May 31, 2018

+1

This kind of efficiency loss adds up over time--would really love to see this added back to the next version!

Andy Widjaja June 25, 2018

+1

Please bring back the bookmark side bar.  Our team lost efficiency because we have to work with 20-30 repositories.  Having all repositories in a side bar was more efficient.

Yuriy Voronin July 20, 2018

+1

salter-smartdeploy July 23, 2018

I found an open issue for this on Atlassian's Jira board if anyone else wants to vote for it https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-7176 There are a few duplicate issues, but that one has the most votes so far.

There are also some promising suggestions for workarounds and alternatives in the comments for that issue.

Like Benjamin Girgenti likes this
nofishonfriday July 23, 2018

Thanks for the link, just voted.

Stately Pleasure Dome August 9, 2018

unbelievable

Jesper Lykke Lisby August 20, 2018

I'm staying on 1.9 as well. That bookmarks bar was good UX, whereas the new solution lacks overview.

Samuelvandevelde December 27, 2018

+1 bring it back! I am shocked it is gone

Robert Fraczkiewicz January 3, 2019

Me too. Bring back the sidebar.

Simon Youngs January 15, 2019

+1 bring bookmarks back.

nofishonfriday March 29, 2019

Bookmarks sidebar is back in Sourcetree 3.1. :)

Thanks for listening!

(Small request: horizontally resizeable, so we could make it a bit less wide...)

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events