Submodule branch tracking in the SourceTree

Eugene K June 26, 2017

I have a repository with few branches and submodules. Submodules have branches of their own. On each branch of the main repository I use a particular branch of the corresponding submodule. The SourceTree correctly tracks subbodule commits from the active branch.

However, the active submodule branch which corresponds to a given main repository branch is not always being handled by the SourceTree. When I switch main repository branches and then open submodules, SourceTree doesn't know which active branch that submodule is on even though it correctly displays the active commit. I have to explicitly put submodule on the correct branch through SourceTree GUI.

This behavior results in erroneous pull/push request from/to the submodule branches when someone forgets to explicitly put submodule on the correct branch.

It should be possible to set submodule to a correct active branch when it is open. Is this an issue with the SourceTree?

Regards,

Eugene

2 answers

0 votes
Eugene K June 27, 2017

MS Windows 7 and SourceTree 2.1.2.5.

Eugene K July 21, 2017

Brian,

Is anyone at Altassian looking into this? This bug causes a lot of issues in our daily work! When switching between main repository branches SourceTree messes up the project content when submodules have local branches.

0 votes
bgannin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 26, 2017

Which OS and version of SourceTree are you running?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events