Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree Spinner is spinning forever

Marcel Dutt May 11, 2017

Just yesterday I thought it's a good day to install the latest version of SourceTree. Fortunately I didn't listen to the message popping up on startup that I should uninstall my older versions...

The reason for this is that the spinner on the left-hand side where there should be a tree view of the current repo is never finishing spinning. This happens on a quite big repo (current size: 1.86GB; due to binaries being stored in there; something we wanna change in the future but didn't have time for just yet). Smaller repos seem to work fine.

screenshot_spinner_eternally.png

Can anyone suggest a workaround to get it going? For now im falling back to version 1.9. But since there has been issued a security advisory by Atlassian I would like to update to the latest version ASAP.

What I've tried so far is to clean out the C:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree folder but there was no improvement achieved with that.

2 answers

0 votes
pepbr November 19, 2021

It seems I can't post anything stating the problem still persists. I keep getting the "You may have recently posted the same thing elsewhere on the community. Update your text, or wait before reposting." message. I have changed this post for several times until success.

It seems the workaround is the definitive solution after all. What a great support team you guys have.

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 11, 2017

Hi Marcel, you can try Wiping SourceTree preferences, uninstall the current version and install it again. Let me know if this worked for you!

Regards,

Ana

Marcel Dutt May 15, 2017

Hi Ana!

Unfortunately this didn't resolve the issue. Do you have any further advice?

Best regards
Marcel

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2017

Hi Marcel, there was another user with a similar issue, he removed his repo from SourceTree and cloned it again and it started working. You can see his response here.

Did this work for you?

Cheers :)

Ana

Marcel Dutt May 16, 2017

That is merely a workaround - and not a good one I have to say. I have local branches that I cannot throw away just like that. Also my stashes will be lost. This is rather a last resort thing. I will do so eventually if I'm forced to. Nevertheless I would highly appreciate if you could pass this problem on to the developer team so they can look into it so that bug can be fixed in future releases.

Jacob Lilly May 16, 2017

I'm having the exact same issue as Marcel. In the mean time I've reinstalled 1.9 but would appreciate an actual fix since, as Marcel documents very well, wiping a repo is not really as easy as simply deleting a few folders :)

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
May 17, 2017

Hi! Indeed, that was a workaround whilst the actual fix gets rolled out. I already informed the developers about it, as I mentioned in the other thread :)

Best regards,

Ana

Antonis Filippidis May 18, 2017

Same problem here. Spinner is spinning forever. Repo has a lot of local branches and some stashes, so I reverted back to 1.9 . 

Wade Ledbetter May 23, 2017

Same problem here.  I posted another question on this before I saw this post.

Jarek Plonski July 15, 2021

Same problem here - 4 years later :). Atlassian - great company as always

Like # people like this
Ernani Groff Moura August 6, 2021

Same problem here 

pepbr November 19, 2021

Same problem here. It seems the workaround is the definitive solution after all. What a great support team you guys have.

Andrey Rudenko January 23, 2022

Same here...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events