Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing password in Source Tree 1.6.1 (Mac 13)

Julia Mazii October 3, 2013

I have changed my password in github.com. And now I am not availible to use Source Tree. It ask me to require my password. I require it but message appear again and again. Please describe how can i change password also in Source Tree to make it the same as on github.com?

11 answers

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 4, 2013
  1. Open the Hosted Repositories window by clicking View > Show Hosted Repositories or Command + Shift + H.
  2. Click Edit Accounts
  3. Double-click on your GitHub account
  4. Click Set Password

In Sourcetree 3.0 on macOS the account passwords can be updated by doing the following:

1. From the menu bar, select Sourcetree then Preferences or + ,
  2. Click on the Accounts tab

All accounts will be listed here and can be added, removed, or updated.

Julia Mazii October 6, 2013

Thanks a lot!!!

Janin Vann April 1, 2015

This saved the day! I had to go to help to find hosted repositories, but I was able to delete the old one, make the new one the default, and voila! Thank you!

8 votes
Ray Crawford September 18, 2015

Okay, I'm answering this because it was just SUCH a nightmare to figure this out.

Using SourceTree 1.6.20.0 on Windows, password based authentication to GitHub kept failing.  After adding and delete several times and pushing and pulling via the terminal to no avail, I finally went digging in the file system knowing things were cached somewhere...  This is after going View => Show Hosted Repositories and reseting my password multiple times.

I don't know exactly what did it but between clearing out:

~\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\passwd

~\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\userhosts

something actually made it so I could reset my credentials.

Hope this helps someone.

Andreas Manthey August 16, 2017

Thanks Ray, this actually helped resolving the issue!

ansonwoody August 16, 2017

I am using self hosted gitlab and having the issue of not being able to change the incorrect username.

I tried the solution provided by @Ray Crawford once but did not get it work. One week later I found this post again and gave it a try. It suddenly works!

The only different thing i did was deleting all the logins including the bitbucket (I have one). I found I could not delete the problematic one but I just tried to delete each record several times before removing the passwd and userhosts files in the AppData.

Sourcetree version: 2.1.10

Rishikesh Pimpale September 8, 2017

I restarted SourceTree (v 2.1.11.0) after deleting the passwd file and was prompted to enter the password.

Radek Pilmaier November 15, 2017

Deleting from ~\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\passwd helped to solve my issue with stored remote repository password, that has changed. Thanks! 

Like jjimenezs likes this
Dipesh Kumar May 27, 2018

Thanks,

It works for me.

TISHA P P September 25, 2018

Thanks a lot

jjimenezs January 8, 2019

Thanks Radek

Micah Bakan July 31, 2019

I cant find AppData, I am on a mac, is there an equivalent file for apple users

Like Gabriel Head likes this
5 votes
srgoteti February 1, 2018

On a Mac, if you are using system authentication try deleting your userfile from ~/Library/Application Support/SourceTree

This worked for me

Andrzej February 6, 2018

This worked for me!
Today I've lost about 3-4 hour for an authentication problem. Tried more than dozen hints from many pages. Seeing so many hints and users it's obvious how fragile and troublesome this component is.

I have similar problem with authentication every month or two but untill today I had a golden solution for this (git config credential.helper store) but it stopped working.

After deleting  a file <user.name>@STAuth-bitbucket.org and entering password in SourceTree now I returned to normal work! :) But 3-4 hours are not mine anymore, great :(

Like # people like this
Jakub September 27, 2018

Worked for me as well, it is really a shame I had to spent time digging into it. Should be hassle free process.

Pawel Trauth January 24, 2020

Two years later this is still an issue

1 vote
Jan Molnar June 12, 2014

To store the password for a self hosted git repository, open terminal and do a

git pull

in one of your repositories. After you provided the login info it is stored in the keychain and thus available to SourceTree.

Please build this functionality directly into the SourceTree App.

Thanks!

1 vote
Mario Hofer May 12, 2014

I access a company git repository and have to enter my password every time I communicate with the server (Fetch, Pull, Push, etc.).

Is there a way to do this similar? When I click Cmd+Shift+H there are no accounts listed.

Thanks in advance.

0 votes
Narasimha Rao April 25, 2021

SourceTree Version -- 4.1.0

-- Go to the specific path on MAC --- ~/Library/Application Support/SourceTree

-- Delete the specified file and in this case I renamed to some Junk for privacy reasons

Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 11.45.12 AM.png

-- Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 11.46.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 11.50.21 AM.png

0 votes
andrew-benson April 22, 2020

Sourcetree v3.0 on macOS

1. From the menu bar, select Sourcetree then Preferences or  + ,
  2. Advanced tab on far right
  3. Select from the menu, the stored credentials for the host you are using
  4. Select Remove
  5. Try to push your code again and it will ask you for your username and credentials 

Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 14.35.18.png

0 votes
Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 18, 2019

In Sourcetree 3.0 on macOS the account passwords can be updated by doing the following:

1. From the menu bar, select Sourcetree then Preferences or + ,
  2. Click on the Accounts tab

All accounts will be listed here and can be added, removed, or updated.

0 votes
requiredaccount December 17, 2019

This answer is extremely old and no longer valid, yet it is the first result in Google and I am finding it impossible to locate the correct answer for the current version of Source Tree.  Is there way for the community to make current answers easier to find?

Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
December 18, 2019

@requiredaccount I updated my original answer to include the steps for Sourcetree 3.0 on macOS.

0 votes
Shivaprasad Narayanan January 4, 2019

The way it worked for me is to to to Credential Manager. Use the following steps:

Step 1: Go to Run on windows and type Manage Windows Credentials

Step 2: You will see an entry for gitlab. Expand that entry and change your password

Step 3: Issue a pull request

0 votes
softmaxsg June 10, 2014

Why not to store passwords there automatically instead of forcing users to add accounts threre manually? In latest app version I should add accounts there manually.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events