Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to edit start end date epic jira portfolio

Matt Gotchy July 13, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configuring plan settings

I created my plan and added epics in Jira portfolio. How do I update the start and end dates. They are wrong and I need to change them. One would think I can simply click and change but not possible.  @Martin Suntinger? 

4 answers

2 votes
Allard van Helbergen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2016

Hi Matt,

Portfolio for JIRA helps you do agile planning. Hence it's not really meant for planning with start end end dates as such, as it bases it's decisions off of other things.

You can assign issues to a sprint or release to place them roughly in a given time frame and then the scheduling algorithm will calculate their actual placement and duration based on ranking, estimation, child issues, capacity of the team, and many other signals. 

We are currently working on a new feature, the earliest start date, which will allow to push an issue back to after a given date. So keep your eyes peeled for that!

Best,
Allard 

Reni July 29, 2016

Dear Allard,

I faced the same as Matt. It is not that I wanted to set start and end date for an epic in portfolio, but the system has done it probably like you wrote with the scheduling algorithm. However I'm just wondering based on what information is counting the algorithm an existing epic will start in 2025???

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 13.29.08.png

And just for fact, this is an in progress epic.

Is there a more helpful answer to this question? Is there any tutorial to watch? 

I would like to understand the picture.

Thanks,

Renata

0 votes
René-Simon Pfisterer August 8, 2019

You will need to activate time tracking under "Project" -> "Settings" -> "Issue Type > Epics"-> "Fields" and then add time tracking to the fields

0 votes
ali kemal cem özdemir July 13, 2018

Hey guys,

How can i set early start date in transition? Or can i or not?

Help please.

Thanks

0 votes
Matt Gotchy July 15, 2016

Thank you Allard that helps a lot.

What do you recommend for an agile team like mine that has to deliver feature functionality on firm due dates for our waterfall driven customers?  I think you're saying we should assign the epic or release to the release that coincides closest to their due date?

In our case we service insurance companies who use on time delivery date as their success fail criteria. For example my team is working towards an October 8 deadline one of our customers has given us. The implications are we don't have to build everything right away, we can build it at a steady pace between now and that deadline in order to spread some of our resources across our other customers. In our case coming in early is not good and coming in late is also not good.

Thanks,

Matt

Allard van Helbergen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 17, 2016

Hi Matt, 

In that case I would advise mapping a release to your deadline and initially putting everything in there that you want to deliver. The release will then likely be overbooked at first. You can then descope your less important features by taking them out of the release until the release turns green.

Cheers,
Allard 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events