Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly

Peter L December 9, 2013

When doing (even a real small) push I always get sad moans at the end. What to do?

git push --progress -v
Pushing to git@bitbucket.org:<user>/<project>.git

Host 'bitbucket.org' key accepted unconditionally.
(fingerprint md5 97:8c:1b:f2:6f:14:6b:5c:3b:ec:aa:46:46:74:7c:40)
Counting objects: 5, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (3/3), done.
Writing objects: 100% (3/3), 372 bytes | 0 bytes/s, done.
Total 3 (delta 1), reused 0 (delta 0)

/Peter

3 answers

0 votes
Michael Südkamp May 7, 2019

I got this error regularly when we did our CVS to Git conversion and first time pushed the converted local Git repos to Bitbucket. However, unlike the how-to on the Bitbucket repo page, we used "git push -u origin --mirror" which IMO pushes branches and tags as a whole rather than in separate commands.

Although we often received the "hung up" error, we never had an evidence that data was missing, so we ignored it while still having had a mixed feeling. Even 6 months later we don't miss any data.

Today I did another first-time push for a new repo and this issue came up again. Following the description on the Bitbucket repo page it succeeded with the big "git push -u origin --all" command (1.6 GB), but fails with the small "git push -u origin --tags" command (46 MB). No tags in Bitbucket repo visible afterwards.

Again if I use "git push -u origin --mirror", the error came up too, but the data (including tags) in Bitbucket seems to be complete. Again mixed feeling.

I wonder if on Bitbucket side the transfer can succeed partially. IMO Bitbucket should detect an incomplete transfer (as indicated by the Git error) and flags the repo as erronous.

Best regards

Michael

P.S. Yes, I tried the usual "git config" tweeks to fix the error found in the forum, but to no avail. I still haven't tried the SSH way

Michael Südkamp May 13, 2020

We worked around this problem by copying a ZIP of the local repo to the Bitbucket server and then pushing the repo locally.

0 votes
Erric Gilbert January 9, 2014

I get this with out pushing any information at all:

erric@akira:~/pup-modules$ git remote set-url origin ssh://git@server.tld:7999/pup/modules.git
erric@akira:~/pup-modules$ git push origin master
fatal: remote error: Not authenticated
Please authenticate and try your request again.

This is a brand new install of stash on RHEL 6.5

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2013

Hi Peter,

Might this be the solution :

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15240815/git-fatal-the-remote-end-hung-up-unexpectedly

Best regards,

Peter

Peter L December 10, 2013

It's not origin problem nor postbuffer problem. I tried both, but still no success. Note that the actual push upload works. Probably I should not bother about the moans at the end, but still...

Regards

/Peter

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events