Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create a table that shows data from child pages

Eugene Domingo January 11, 2012

Here's what I want to do but I'm having a hard time finding information to help me do this fully.

1. Create a parent page that has a table.

2. The child pages will come from a template that is static. When I create the child page by adding, I should be able to directly save it without editing the contents.

3. That child page will allow me to make text box entries. The fields I want to start with is Start Date, End Date and Site.

4. All the information from that child page will display in the parent page. I should be able to consecutively add more pages as time goes on and the table will continue to grow without the need of editing any page formats.

Overall, I'm hoping for two examples. 1 would be what the parent page should look like and the 2nd would be what the child page should look like. Again, the 2nd page, I'm hoping can be a template that I will never have to edit (except the page title) and yet still display the data on the parent page.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Neil Arrowsmith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2012

These plugins may help:

• Create Page - which will give you a link to create a page from a template
  • Metadata - To have data on the child page marked as e.g. "Start Date"
  • Reporting - To build the tabel on the parent page, using metadata as a "Supplier"

And possibly Scaffolding if you want your child pages to always be editable by filling in text boxes, rather than just at page creation time. But i've had limited experience of this one.

Warning that none of these plugins seem to have Confluence 4.0 compatible versions yet, and at least one of them is (or soon will be) commercial.

Eugene Domingo January 11, 2012

I was looking into the checklist-exerpt commands but can't get it to work right. I already know how to do metadata, but I don't think that would work. Because the main page will not automatically display the child page data when the child page is created. I would have to go in and edit the parent page. The only work I would like to do is just "add page", then select the template, save the page, then edit the text boxes (like scaffolding). Then it should automatically display data on the parent page. the kind of data I use would be:

(child page)

Site: Chicago

start date: 1/20/12

end date: 2/12/12

purpose: fix some servers

team lead: Bob

(parent page will show)

site: chicago start date: 1/20/12 end date: 2/12/12 lead: Bob

Neil Arrowsmith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2012

Ah - well if you just want to pull metadata on to another page then use {metadata-report}.

So on your child page, do either:

Site: {metadata:Site}Chicago{metadata}
Start Date: {metadata:Start Date}1/20/12{metadata}
etc.

Or, even easier:

{metadata-list}
|| Site | Chicago |
|| Start Date | 1/20/12 |
etc.
{metadata-list}

Then on your parent page:

{metadata-report:Page,Site,Start Date,...}

Eugene Domingo January 16, 2012

I don't think that would work either. I'm guessing I would have to update the parent page each time I add a child page. I want to avoid having to update the parent page ever again. Every time I create a child page, I would like the data to show on the parent page without having to edit the parent. Sort of like the checklist-excerpt commands. But the checklist-excerpt information is not written very well.

Neil Arrowsmith
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2012

metadata-report will automatically add data from new child pages (that's the default anyway - we actually use it to automatically pull metadata from pages with a certain label on). You won't need to edit it everytime you add a new child.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events