Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow when creating a new repository

Normanbird July 27, 2014

Hi

Im using Git Tortise GUI on Windows to create then push new repositories to Bitbucket. I always have to create the repositories on Bitbucket first then take the link and us it to create a new remote in Tortise.

I was wondering if I there is a way to simply create the new repository and push it to Bitbucket and have it automatically created in Bitbucket? Is this possible with Tortise

And if not, is it possible if I switch to Sourcetree?

Or does one have to ALWAYS create the repo FIRST at Bitbucket.com prior to pusching the local repo?

thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
TimP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2014

Hi Norman,

Yep! You can create repositories straight from SourceTree. Just click the little globe icon on the Clone Repository dialog, add your Bitbucket credentials (if you haven't already) and then click "Create New Repository".

cheers,

Tim

Normanbird July 27, 2014

just tried installing on windows vista and it would not do so. Is there a version for windows vista? Lots of people still use Vista. its not that old. :-)

TimP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2014

Sorry Norman, Windows 7 and up: http://www.sourcetreeapp.com/faq/#ui-accordion-2-header-0

It's also supported on OS X FWIW.

Normanbird July 27, 2014

OK. I have vista and or Ubuntu. I do not believe I have ever seen another windows app that does not support Vista.I will have to just keep Tortoise Git then. No problem. I was just looking into it. Peace.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2014

"lots of people still use Vista" - not really. If you get an opportunity to upgrade to Windows 7 without spending too much money, I highly recommend it.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2014

As far as I know, you must create the repository in Bitbucket first, because the URL to push to only exists after the repository is created.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events