Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are images and attachments stored?

Patrick Illian July 11, 2012

I gather that there is a hierarchical ID given to all attachments like this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Hierarchical+File+System+Attachment+Storage. But if I were to attach an image to a page does the numerical ID simply reference the actual image file somewhere else? Or is the data file converted from the image in some way?

Basically, people I work with continually attach an image with a specific name to a variety of pages. Would the image continually overwrite itself everytime it's saved? Or are they creating a new file to store everytime they attach that image?

I have a pretty haphazard understanding of this information so if I'm way off the mark please let me know.

Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
RianA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2012

Hi Patrick,

You can either store the attachment in database or file system. The documented that you pointed is when you store the attachment in file system.

The attachment ID will be pointed to some directory in file system, and in that directory there will be an actual image with its version. If you attach image with same name twice, you would be able to see two images in that attachment ID directory with different version number.

Everytime you attach an Image, it will not be overwritten, however it will be added to that directory based on its version number. Which means they are creating a new file everytime they attach the image. For example when you first time attach an image it will be version one, and upon uploading the same image, it will be version two.

Hope this information helps, and feel free to ask if anything unclear.

Best Regards,
Josua

This helps, thanks

2 votes
Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2012

Attachments are stored where you tell Confluence to store them. Go to the Admin Panel, and click Attachment Storage. You can choose to store them on the file system or in the database. Based on how it is stored, the answers to your other questions can be explored...

Thanks Matthew

1 vote
Thuan M. Tu November 1, 2018

Images are stored in your install directory under atlassian-jira

{jira-install}/atlassian-jira/images/

0 votes
Liam Maeder January 16, 2020

Hi All

We are about to upgrade from 7.5.0 Server to 8.6.0 Server and I'm wondering if we copy these folders and paste them in the new version's DB; we are moving the upgrade to a larger server; would the images and attachments find themselves where they were before the upgrade?

Thanks for any help.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events