What is the benefit of user accounts when using Fisheye without Crucible

richiethom September 5, 2012

I am starting to evaluate Fisheye (download edition) for my organisation, and have a question about how users work. We currently use WebSVN to visualise our repositories.

Access to WebSVN is not in any way controlled or segregated - any authenticated user (at least 50 developers here) can see all repositories (all 120 of them).

In the "How do you define a user" section of the Fisheye pricing page, it says that anonymous users "do not count against license totals". Bearing in mind our current policy regarding who can see what, I am not sure therefore whether we need to buy more than the cheapest 'non-starter' rate licence. There will only be one or two administrative users.

Apart from administrative users, what other benefits does Fisheye bring to a non-anonymous user? We don't intend to use Crucible.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2012

Hi richiethorn,

If browsing source code is the only thing you expect developers to do with Fisheye, then you'll be fine using the 10-user commercial license and WebSVN.

Fisheye does offer much more than that, though, that developers might find useful. Things like the commit graph - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/FISHEYE/Viewing+the+commit+graph+for+a+repository

Reports, charts, and code metric - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/FISHEYE/FishEye+Charts

and things like searching and having developer stats (LoC commited, last activity).

-Simon

richiethom September 6, 2012

Thanks for that information. Do the features you mention in your answer require/work-better-with a logged in user?

SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2012

I'm not sure actually. The features don't require a user to be logged in, but without a username you will only be able to see things by committer name. For your case, you might be able to ake use of all the features just fine with anonymous access.

0 votes
Sten Pittet
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 9, 2012

One thing that you might consider is that when user mapping is set up I can log in as a user and see my personal activity. It becomes also easier to identify the authors of changes via their names and avatars.

On another topic features like shares and mentions introduced in FishEye 2.8 will only work with authenticated users.

Hope that helps.

Sten

richiethom September 9, 2012

Hi Sten, thanks for this, but these features mainly seem associated with Crucible, which we won't be using (at least initially).

Sten Pittet
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 9, 2012

Shares and mentions are definitely part of FishEye, as well as the Activity Stream. Then, it's up to you :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events