Using Gitflow with Sourcetree - Branches not getting created

john van strien June 26, 2014

I followed the instructions on this page to setup Gitflow in Sourcetree on my Mac. I then created a new feature branch, made some changes and then commited the new code. And yet the graph in Sourcetree does not show the new feature branch. I tried doing this a couple of times. No joy. What can I be doing wrong? Where is some more extensive documentation?

2 answers

0 votes
john van strien June 26, 2014

This is the contents of project/.git/config file:

[core]
	repositoryformatversion = 0
	filemode = true
	logallrefupdates = true
	autocrlf = false
[remote "origin"]
	url = git@git.assembla.com:********.git
	fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
	push = +HEAD:refs/heads/master
[branch "master"]
	remote = origin
	merge = refs/heads/master
[gitflow "branch"]
	master = master
	develop = develop
[gitflow "prefix"]
	feature = feature/
	release = release/
	hotfix = hotfix/
	support = support/
	versiontag = 
[branch "feature/SQLException_Handling"]
	remote = origin
	merge = refs/heads/feature/SQLException_Handling
[branch "feature/SQLException_Handling_01"]
	remote = origin
	merge = refs/heads/feature/SQLException_Handling_01

The two branches at the bottom are the two that I created and neither of them were displayed as branches in the SourceTree graph, at any time (i.e. right after they were created, during edit or after the changes were committed.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2014

You should see the feature as soon as you create the feature branch, prior to making any commits. At that point it will show up beside develop (or whatever your name is for that branch). If it isn't there, then there was likely an error in starting the feature.

john van strien September 21, 2014

The feature does not show up. Where is any documentation explaining what would cause that? Is it more likely a git issue or a SourceTree/Gitflow issue?

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2014

Forget the graph for a moment. Do these feature branches show up in the list of local branches? You may have to expand a "feature" folder.

john van strien September 22, 2014

Yes, they do.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 22, 2014

Do you have your graph set to display "current branch"? If so, change it to "all branches".

john van strien September 22, 2014

It was already set to display all branches. On sort of a side note, the forum website is reporting that the first response I made to your answer was made 7 hours ago, when actually I made it months ago.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2014

Sounds like there is a bug somewhere, I'm not sure in this case how to narrow it down to SourceTree vs Git. Gitflow only handles the create/merge/delete operations, not the display of branches, so it shouldn't be that. File a bug report at http://jira.atlassian.com. The recent date stamp on your comment is probably related to the recent overhaul of Answer's underlying framework.

john van strien September 26, 2014

I merged (from the Assembla repository) two of my branches and now I see the visual branches that I was expecting.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events