Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding Git merge in sourcetree/diffmerge

jmejiaa1986 September 1, 2014

I use Diffmerge as my external tool but I think this is more of a git/brancing question.

When I have a conflict in a merge, what do each of the three windows correspond to?

Say I'm on branch "dev" and want to merge master into it. I click merge - from fetched(master).. When I get conflicts and go to resolve I have the following three windows for my resolutions:

Local/base/remote

I understand local is what I have, base is what will result in the merge. Does remote mean what is currently in the branch that I'm merging FROM(master)?

I would assume so as it has the changes coming in, but I want to make sure.

thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2014

I am not familiar with DiffMerge, so I cannot say which one is the file that will have the result (in most diff programs, base is in the middle and you merge into that from the two sides), but these are the inputs:

local: the file in the target (dev) branch

remote: the file in the source (master) branch

base: the file at the commit which is the last common ancestor of the two (the point where dev diverges from master)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events