Tracking reads of an issue?

Ray Kiddy May 16, 2013

I am missing something from my days at Apple. There was a feature in the bug tracker there and I realized that its lack is causing problems for me. If I create an issue, the assignees may not have a specific response at the time. But I have no idea, then, if the issue was even seen.

I know this may be trickier to do in a web app, but jira could track when an issue is opened and mark it as 'has been read'. This could/should be overridable by the assignee, but if a 'has been read' flag is just set automatically, I could have a lot more confidence about the status of things.

As it stands I find myself commenting in these just to get some acknowledgement that the thing has been seen and, yes I could get over myself, but jira could help here also!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ray Kiddy June 6, 2013

I guess no answer is an answer, so this has been answered.

0 votes
Yilin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2013

Hi Ray,

I think this can be done with a workflow transaction exclud the assign operation, something like triage the issue or acknowledge the customer, the avantage with this can also allow engineer to log time work on JIRA but not just a simple click.

But still, you're welcome to share your idea on our bug system https://jira.atlassian.com to make a feature request for our dev team to review it.

Cheers

MOMO

Ray Kiddy May 23, 2013

If I understand you, you are suggesting a one-click button for marking "has been read". It should be easy, yes? A "i am acknowledging that I have read this issue" button is theoretically a solution, except that it does not work. People could just add an "ok, is read" comment now. They do not.

The "has been read" marker needs to an automatic side-effect of opening the issue. Hence the name "has been read".

People will want the option to override the marker, and people feel better if that option is there, but they do not actually use it much.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events