Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test remote directory connection failed

Jack Yu June 24, 2012

Hi Support,

I run test settings of Test remote directory connection, but I got a error:

Test user can authenticate : Failed
Write operations are not allowed in read-only mode (FlushMode.NEVER): Turn your Session into FlushMode.AUTO or remove 'readOnly' marker from transaction definition.

I don't know what's the root cause.

4 answers

0 votes
John Rehill October 16, 2012

Have a look under Confluence Admin -> Users & Security -> User Directories -> LDAP Permissions.

If you want Confluence to only read your AD info but not make any changes it should be set to 'Read Only' or 'Read Only, with Local Groups'

If you want Confluence to be able to modify your user account details (phone number etc) or your groups (adding/removing members) set it to Read/Write

If it's set to a Read Only option you'll get the error above so it's behaving as expected. If it's set to Read/Write, I'd suggest you raise a case with support.

0 votes
Mark Mackay June 28, 2012

I'm having the same problem. I'm experimenting with seting up an LDAP database to store our user details, as I want to store more fields than Confluence handles for backend purposes and with another system.

I have managed to get Confluence to connect and find users in the directory (they're visible in the People directory); and I can modify groups for the LDAP users; set the password; and log in to confluence using an LDAP directory user.

But I get the same error message as Jack shows in the screenshot above -- and don't really understand what it means, the implications of it, or what to do about it.

Can anyone help us out?

EDIT USER DETAILS

One thing I can't seem to do is modify a user's full name or notes.

e.g. Admin section > Users > Edit a user > Edit Details -- and then type something in Phone, Location, etc.

I get the error:

"No user with specified email address exists"

even though I haven't changed the email.

I'm not 100% certain that confluence is meant to allow editing of these fields though. I don't see anywhere tomap these fields to be visible in confluence. I'm guessing this is not possible? (be nice to specify a url to a thumbnail image, etc)

SETUP

I'm using OpenLDAP on localhost; with confluence LDAP permissions set to 'Read/Write'.

0 votes
Manse Wolken
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2012

As far as I know and from what I can see (just the error picture and no other information like the configuration that you have tested) I just can assume that you created ad direcotry conencntion which is read only for confluence. If you don't need confluence to write to that directory, you can simply go back to settings and save them. I ignored that specific error, because confluence worked the way I wanted (reds from directory, but can't write to it).

If you need Confluence to write to your directory, you should check your configuration an eventually post it here for better help.

Good luck

Jack Yu June 26, 2012

Thanks Mawolken!

Now AD users can login to confluence and to view pages. looks no effect .

But I don't know what's the means of "Confluence to write to directory".

thanks again!

0 votes
Jack Yu June 26, 2012

Everybody can help me?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events