Stash Install on Ubuntu

Erik Akers July 9, 2013
I'm trying to install Stash on an Ubuntu and since our company uses remote workers we are going to put the server on the internet. For some testing I set up an Ubuntu VM and installed all requirements, GIT, JAVA etc. I also installed apache and tomcat for web servers. After all of that was set up I hit the local IP address of the server to see if I was getting a response and to test that it was online. My thinking was that I could then make the /var/www directory the stash home directory that is required during the install. When I did this, Stash installed correct and I was able to access it from localhost:7990 on the Ubuntu VM I could not get it it by using the IP address of the VM. Now I just got Stash to the setup phase and didn't go through setup when I couldn't get to Stash from the IP. Do I need to go through set up or did I mess up in my process of trying to install Stash into the /var/www directory? I would like to make stash available at stash.ourdomain.com so that our remote resources can use the server as well. Thanks.

2 answers

1 vote
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2013

I think you'll confuse people down the track putting stash into /var/www mainly because generally you see static or php websites etc.. in there.

Stash can happily sit whereever, and you should just setup Apache webserver (or nginix) as a ProxyPass to your stash instance. So Apache will server stash.ourdomain.com on port 80 and forward requests to Stash running on it's default port

Details for that setup should be here - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASH/Integrating+Stash+with+Apache+HTTP+Server

Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2013

Also you don't have to install tomcat since it comes bundled with stash

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

Hi, if you can access it via localhost but not via the IP address, it sounds like a network / firewall issues? Are ports blocked? Is the public IP routable?

To get it to stash.ourdomain.com you need to add an A record to your DNS and wait for it to resolve.

You don't need Apache, but can have it. It can serve as a reverse proxy if required. If you download the zipped version of Stash, it comes with Tomcat.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events