Title says it all. I love SourceTree and have been using it to great effect for the last two years. However, somewhere along the line (2-3 months ago?) it became much, much slower. I'm running the latest version on OS X 10.8.5.
Have you checked out the Troubleshooting Performance Problems in SourceTree documentation? There is a checklist of items to verify that could be causing SourceTree to perform slowly.
- If you have a lot of untracked files, make sure the filters in SourceTree don't show these as Git/Hg take a long time to respond.
- If you're using a system version of Git/Hg, make sure it's a recent version.
- Limited system resources, CPU, RAM, plenty of hard disk space etc.
- That you've got an up-to-date copy of SourceTree (we no longer publish to the App Store!)
- That the repository location is local, i.e. on your hard disk rather than over a network or mounted volume.
- Calling Git/Hg from the terminal performs as expected i.e. 'git log'
- Is there an application constantly writing to data to disk in a repository location? This would cause SourceTree to constantly refresh.
Thanks for the response.
1. "A lot of untracked files" isn't the problem.
2. I'm using the latest (non-app store version of source tree).
3. I have a recent model, maxed-out (ie. plenty of cpu, disk, ram, fusion drive) iMac.
4. See 2.
5. Yes, it's local.
6. Git from the command line remains snappy even when SourceTree gets very sluggish.
Here's some more info:
1. I haven't figured out yet whether this is always the case, but SourceTree seems slower when cpu usage is high by other apps. ie. Xcode which is constantly re-indexing the workspace/repo, ie. whenever I switch branches.
2. Our repo has many files in it, but few of them are modified (staged or unstaged) at any given time.
3. SourceTree got slower. I'm not sure exactly when, I think it was this Summer. It never had these problems before.
You're not alone in SourceTree being slow, I've seen posts by other users with similar issues and there are some open issues in the SourceTree JIRA talking about performance. I've experienced it a couple times myself, but restarting SourceTree always seems to fix it.
Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.Learn more
Hey everyone! My name is Natalie and I'm an editor of the Atlassian Blog and I've got a question for you: What's your favorite quote about teamwork? We've compiled a list here, along with...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG