I love the look and ui of source but its so god damned slow on windows. I have only a few tabs open and simple operations like adding/staging files, commit etc all result in the spinner coming up killing the ux. Also network tasks like pushing and pulling seem to take way longer than on the command line or with smart git.
i have a quad core i5 8gb ram and an ssd so im hardly running light and am on the latest version of source tree 188.8.131.52
For those interested in tracking the progress of this bug, you might want to "Watch" https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-2093. Please don't post comments on the bug unless you have useful information to contribute ("SourceTree consistently slows every time I perform these steps:..."; "My SourceTree log has this message that looks related"). If you simply want to confirm that you're experiencing the issue, click the Vote button on the bug.
You can see by reading through existing comments that Atlassian is trying to improve performance, but they are having trouble duplicating the type of slowness you guys are reporting. (I am not Atlassian staff, but I also don't have any performance problems).
Same issue where source tree would slow to a crawl... usually when previewing previous large commits... downgrading to http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/SourceTreeSetup_1.5.2.exe fixed the issue
Not sure if my speed issue is the same as Luke's, but I'll add my situation here, which may help.
We have a repository with many submodules (~25). Before we split it into submodules, SourceTree was very fast. After the split, it is very painful. After opening a tab (submodule), it displays instantly about 75% of the time. The other times, the window bar gets a "Not responding" and it takes 10-30 seconds to update. Selecting the root project is usually very slow: wait times can be beyond one minute.
My collegues with SourceTree for Mac do not have this problem. After the switch to submodules, they had no change in performance.
To answer Jeff's questions: 0 untracked files, but many files fall under .gitignore; individual git commands on the command line is very fast, although a 'submodule foreach git status' can take 20 seconds to complete all submodules; I've only tried it on two repositories, but the second is extremely small,so not a good test.
In the UI, I've turned off all automatic refresh options.
Ideally, SourceTree would allow me to turn on a log of all git commands used by source tree, timing included. Then I could troubleshoot the problem effectively.
This issue started in October, 2013 - not sure which revision that was, but I tend to update immediately.
My project has no submodules but SourceTree for windows is still very slow. Git runs fast from the command line for the same commands (fetch, pull, merge, rebase, branch). Everything looks at least 10 times slower in SourceTree (using Win7 and the latest SourceTree for Windows as of this writing)
Completely agree with Robert, the last update was really poor. The performance has dropped to the point it's painful. Staging a file takes around 15 seconds and after a commit you can be waiting for a few minutes for the staged file pain to clear. What also doesn't help is that each file is staged when you check it - so you're talking 15 seconds each.
I have had no issues - ST 1.6.3, Windows 8.1 64 bit, embedded Git, SSH remotes.
I also have no submodules, hooks, or extended integration of any kind, but my repos are very large and old (migrated a 8+ year old project from SVN) with many branches.
We released 1.6.4 today which deals with many, many performance issues. This stops unnecessary diff view refreshes, and stops the file lists from refreshing when switching between various views. Check the release notes here for more on what was fixed in this version: http://www.sourcetreeapp.com/update/WindowsReleaseNotes.html
I love sourcetree but its been so bad over the last few dot releases in terms of ui changes and performance i am really starting to consider changing. I juts hope it can get back to the level of performance it used to be. When i use it on my mac it is way better. the windows version is where the issue seems to be. I'll test on windows 8 and see if that makes a difference.
I also have the performance issues described above; takes seconds to stage files, selecting files, switching between tabs etc. I am running 1.6.9 with embedded git. I think everything started when the UI changed for staging/diff. It got nicer but very slow instead.
I have the same issues, which seem to have started with one of the 1.6.X updates. The latest (1.6.10) still gave these problems. It some takes takes litarally a couple of minutes to wait until the application responds again. A collegue who has the same configuration doesn't have this issue after upgrading, but I couldn't work anymore. I've downgraded to 1.5.2 and now everything works fine. And good riddance of the staging checkboxes too. ;-)
Thank you very much @Robert Sirre. I have uninstalled 1.6.11 version and installed 1.5.2 and now everything is going much faster. 1.6 version took me until 3gb of memory ram and ten minutes to load the list of files. 1.5 version do instantly all this actions
Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.Learn more
Thanks to everyone who came out today for the lunch AUG - we had some great food and discussion (and ice cream sandwiches to fend off the heat!) The welcome and fun fact was great as well, what an aw...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs