Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree always rebasing.

roberto_sc July 9, 2014

I'm using SourceTree for Windows, v1.5.2.0.

SourceTree is always rebasing when I do a git pull. The option "Rebase instead of merge" is not marked on both pull options and git options.

It seems that the only way to merge is doing a fetch and a merge. Am I missing something?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2014

How do you know it is rebasing and not fast-forwarding?

roberto_sc July 9, 2014

Hmm I thought it is rebasing because it never allows me to do it when I have uncommitted changes, I always have to stash them before, while merging normally allows me to do it while having changes. But now I'm confused about this. I normally work with more than one thing at the same time so I always have uncommitted changes, it's a pain to stash, pull, apply stash.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2014

Rebase, fast-forward, and merge have nothing to do with uncommitted changes. You rightly need to clear those out of the way before performing those operations. In some situations, it may be more appropriate to commit them than to stash them.

If you have any commits that have not been pushed, then a pull will need to either merge (default) or rebase. If you don't have any new commits, a pull will attempt to fast-forward (default) unless you explicitly tell it not to, in which case it will create a new merge commit.

1 vote
Veselin Kolarov April 6, 2017

Have the same problem. Each time I try to pull I'm getting the error message "Cannot pull with rebase: you have unstaged changes.".

The checkbox "Use rebase instead of merge" is unchecked.

Here the Sourcetree log:

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false -c credential.helper=sourcetree pull --no-commit origin master
error: Cannot pull with rebase: You have unstaged changes.

0 votes
Veselin Kolarov April 6, 2017

"git pull --no-rebase" in the shell works.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events