Script Oauth access

As I understand it, the only authentication option available that isn't based on a username/password is Oauth. Does it make sense to set this up to be used in a script environment where asynchronous callbacks can't be listened to?

If no, are there other authentication options that are not based on username/password?

2 answers

Kerberos is not based on username and password. 

-Lars 

I'm struggling with this problem too - I don't want to bake in usernames and passwords to scripts.

I have looked up the Atlassian OAuth examples, stored in it's hg (??mecurial??) respository but they no longer work on my client due to RSA SHA1 being deprecated and the scripts now throwing errors.

But that's nothing compared to having to set up application links in Jira - which fails at asking for the application URL.  There isn't one, obviously, as my scripts are CLI client side actions. They could happen at any time, driven by our continuous integration factories - and I'm not likley to be on hand to log in to a browser and grant permission.  How does anyone set up an OAuth app link?

So how do we arrange a revokable permission, like adding a public key to an "allowed" list and authenticating against that, like passwordless ssh?

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

82 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you