Rename Confluence installation folder

H February 18, 2013

Just upgraded Confluence 3.5.17 to 4.2.4 using the Windows installer. When the installer asked where Confluence was currently installed I pointed it towards this folder:

E:\confluence-3.5.17-std

During the install I assumed it would rename this folder but it did not. I stopped the Cofluence service, unistalled the service, renamed the folder, reinstalled the service, and attempted to start the service. I received an error message about not finding CATALINA_HOME.

How can I rename the confluence install folder?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
William Zanchet [Atlassian]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2013

Hello there,

I know that the installer is the easiest way, to perform an upgrade, however that sometimes doesn't happen, and could be painful for us.

I would like to suggest an alternative solution, which consists into install the standalone version and then follow the steps above to achieve the upgrade:

# Go to atlassian.com and download Confluence 4.2.4 ( the standalone version ).
# Extract the zip/tar.gz file of the latest version of Confluence on the place you choose. ( I highly suggest that you create a folder call: Confluence 4.3, and inside of this folder extract the install folder
# Into the extracted folder, open the file confluence-init.properties, which is located at Confluence install directory\confluence\web-inf\classes and edit the line: confluence.home=/usr/local/confluence/home to point to the path where is your old home folder (from 3.5.17) of your Confluence.
# Now start Confluence from the start-confluence.bat file, which should be located in the bin folder.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

WZ

2 votes
H February 25, 2013

I finally got this to work:

1. Stopped the service

2. Uninstalled the service using the service.bat file

3. Rename Confluence-3.5.17-std to Confluence

4. Went into the registry and found a few spots that referred to the current direct name (Confluence-3.5.17-std) and changed these to confluence

5. Edited the service.bat file where there was also a few spots that referred to the old directory name that I change to the new directory name

6. Reinstalled the service using the service.bat file

7. Started the service and it worked fine

2 votes
pkirkeby
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2013

I suspect this is because the Windows Service was still pointing to the old installation path. After renaming, you will have to remove the existing Windows Service and re-create it. This can be done with the <confluence-install>/bin/service.bat file.

See more details here on running Confluence as a Windows Service and how to remove/install the service manually:

- https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Start+Confluence+Automatically+on+Windows+as+a+Service

Cheers,

Pelle

H February 19, 2013

Pelle,

I did use the service.bat file to uninstall the service

Then I renamed the install folder

I then used the service.bat file to reinstall the service

When I went to start the service I got an error message about not being able to find CATALINA_HOME

1 vote
H February 25, 2013

The answer is shown in my previous post

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events